Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i have the key in the on position to crank it, most of the time it cranks, but if it dont fire, it wont keep cranking, until it fires. think i have a bad starter?

------------------
70 El Camino SS 396
3.73 with a 12 bolt

will post pics soon

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sounds like a starter solonoid. You could rebuild the solonoid or buy a new (or rebuilt) starter. There are only 2 components in the starter, the starter motor and the starter solonoid which controls the engagement of the gear and the switching (on/off) of the starter motor. That switch gets turned on by activating an electro magnet that pulls in the starter gear and turns on the starter motor. 9 times out of 10 it's the solonoid with the problem.
Good Luck
Chuck

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Boduke. Assuming the battery is in a good condition.

If the bendix does not work, you will probably just hear some clicking sound.

If it does work, you will hear it come in. You surely must know the sound of this.

Then you can try the following. On the starter motor there is a big connection holding the battery cable. Opposite this is a lead coming from within the motor housing. When you short these 2 the motor should start running (some 6000 - 8000 RPM). If it does not, your brushes might be worn (if not, some winding is giving you trouble).

Rob

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, when it stops cranking, it just makes like a whining noise, almost like sighing. do you think i should replace the whole starter? they are like 60 bux right? thanks

------------------
70 El Camino SS 396
3.73 with a 12 bolt

will post pics soon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.