Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wire that runs from the starter to the battery got to close to my headers. I think this cause a short nand now my car wont start up my battery has power but it only start up when it wants...please help...thank you for your help in advanced...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
1, You can get items to protect the battery wire. Here's one idea in this link. Be sure to get an inside diameter big enough. The wire terminal on the starter needs to go through it.
2, Might be the starter, might be an old solenoid, might be the wiring causing the car not to start sometimes. Have you tried the "screwdriver trick"?
Pull the center wire out of the distributor cap so the engine won't fire.
Set the emergency brake.
With a screwdriver short the large terminal on the starter to the "S" terminal. The "S" terminal is the small terminal towards the engine block with the purple wire on it. This should make the starter engage and spin the engine. Watch out so you don't tough the frame with the screwdriver when doing this. Makes a lot of sparks and ruins a good screwdriver.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the method with the screw driver and it cranked then I went over and started it up with they key. Now it starts up nicely.Do you know what the problem was is ther something i need to fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its still doin it..but the screw driver trik makes it turn on..anybody have an idea of what it might be...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If the screwdriver trick works the problem is most likely the ignition switch. I can't be 100% sure without you taking a few measurements. The ignition switch is not the key switch. It's mounted on the top of the column. Need advise on how to replace it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
That happened to me years ago.Completely drained the battery and fried the wire to the ignition switch,smoke inside the car ,insulation melted right off.On the interstate just outside of Weed Calf.in my 57 belair,wooow!! those where the days.Replace that hot wire to the ignition switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can i test out the ignition switch?? If there is any way to test it I wouldnt want to spen money on somethig I dont need.Specialy right now with these gas prices :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by STUNNER71:
How can i test out the ignition switch?? If there is any way to test it I wouldnt want to spen money on somethig I dont need.Specialy right now with these gas prices :rolleyes: .
First you need to see what the voltage is on the purple "S" wire on the starter. When the key is turned, expect voltage to be above 10 volts. Believe you will see something a lot lower.
If it's low there, next you need to measure it on the ignition switch. After lowering the steering column down on the seat, measure the purple wire on the ignition switch and on both sides of the neutral safety switch. When the key is turned look for a voltage greater than 10 volts.
Be sure the shifter is in park and the e-brake is set when doin these tests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts