Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old starter had three wires and my new starter has 2 wires. On a previous post it was determined I only needed the "big" wire from the battery and the purple wire (neutral safety switch?) because the previous owner converted the car to HEI so I just taped off the yellow wire. The problem is when I went to reconnect the battery it sparked big time in my face
and I heard the starter gear mesh with the flex plate. The connecter on the big wire from the battery has two prongs on each side and I think it might be close enough to the purple wire to arc, its hard to see with the headers in the way. Would this cause the starter to engage? I guess I can cut off those prongs with my dremel but I wanted to hear from you guys first. Also, what are the chances I did any damage to my electrical system when the battery was reconnected and sparked? Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
May be that the large lead and the purple lead were not tight and moved as the starter went up. Probably touching each other. Shouldn't have done any damage to the system. It just sparked because the starter engaged as you connected the wires.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I bolted up the starter first and then made my connections. I'll take it down tonight and see how close they are, I'm assuming that taping off that third (yellow) wire has nothing to do with this problem.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The yellow wire doesn't have power on it unless the key is on. The purple is touching the red on the starter. It won't work if they are just close to each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts