Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Had a problem with my starter last week. While trying to start my truck, I flooded it and had to crank it for a while. After getting it to almost start, I tried one more time with nothing happening from the starter, not even a click.
Started to drop the starter last night and noticed wires touching the headers. Took an insulated wire and pulled the wire free of the headers and anything else around them. When I went to hook the battery back-up, the starter turned over, with the keys in my pocket and the ignition off. I'm just wondering if my starter might be fried or is there something else I should look for.
Thanks in advance for your help.
John C.

Truck info: '78 C-10 with 350 mated to a 700 running headers. This is the first problem I've had with the starter.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My "guess" is that the wires are fried together and the start wire is shorted to the battery cable.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
143 Posts
Steve is right! After you locate and repair the burnt wires, run them thru a piece of heater hose and clamp it behind the headers near the block. good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, figured it out... Finally!
I turns out, when I pulled the wires away from the header, I pulled the lower one a little too much making it contact the hot wire. Had to spread a little liquid electrical tape on the wires/connectors and route the wires diferently to make sure they won't touch, but I think it's fixed.
Guess maybe next time I'll pay a little more attention to what I'm doing and take my time.
Thanks for everyones input.
John C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts