Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then the starter motor grinds on the fly wheel. (This is a little embarrassing when a crowd of people are watching you start you car thinking there going to hear the roar of a big block). My question, is the damage to the fly wheel done or is this a problem with the starter motor? It usually grinds twice and then catches and starts the car. This might happen once in thirty starts.

Thanks
Bubba

------------------
ACES member #04788
Maryland Chevelle Club member #075
Have you ever noticed that those instruments designed to detect intelligent life in the universe are all pointed AWAY from Earth???

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the exact same problem about a year ago, the problem went away once I changed the starter, the flywheel didn't seem to take any damage.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope my problem is resolved as easily as yours. A friend of mine installed a reduction starter on his car. Has anyone had any experience with these starters? Pro’s or con’s.

Thanks,
Bubba

------------------
ACES member #04788
Maryland Chevelle Club member #075
Have you ever noticed that those instruments designed to detect intelligent life in the universe are all pointed AWAY from Earth???

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
EASY FIX--purchase a starter shim=no noise. The flywheel teeth are stronger than the bendix gear teeth on the starter. Its easier to change the starter than the flywheel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Al carson- not saying your wrong but I read in a recent( this year)StockCar Racing magazine on an article talking about starters and flywheels and they said the flywheel teeth are softer than the starter teeth?? I wonder who's right????

·
Registered
723 Posts
I had a starter chew a few teeth off of a new flywheel I had installed in a s/b Camaro.

Tim

·
Registered
190 Posts
You're just going to have to check it out. Sounds like a damaged spot on the flywheel gear that occasionally stops where the bendix gear engages, but that may not be it. Gene gave good advice - I had to replace the bolts in my starter . . never realized they were such a big deal. The shoulders had gotten very slightly rounded, couldn't really see it, and were allowing the starter to wobble just the slightest bit. Also try adding one shim as suggested above. You'll just have to experiment.
BTW, I wound up replacing my flywheel. There was SOME obvious damage, but when it came off . . MAN it was shot!

------------------
Phil
"I don't believe I'da told that"

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found the issue that I was talking about above if you guys are interested.It's the October 2001 Stockcar racing issue.Page 46 third paragraph does indeed say the flywheel teeth are softer.The article talks mostly about stock oem flexplates and how most of the time they're to blame for problems because they can be as much as .040 out of round on a bad one!!They say to search for one .020 or less or buy a good after market one.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Absolutely right on the amount of junk on the market today. I got under a car on jackstands to watch the flexplate(new one) as another guy cranked it over. I swear I could see the runout it was so bad. It was one of these super cheap flexplates.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Use a rear mount. I never resolved the issue until I installed one.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.