Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 times since i have owned my 1966 malibu in the last year this problem has occurred . I am starting the engine and the starter will not stop turning i have to pull the ground off the battary. I thought i had a bad solinoid so when i had my new ceramic coated headers installed i changed the solinoid also have a heat shield in place on the starter ,problem with starter just occured again the other day .also from time to time when you turn the key nothing happens ,wiggle the wires on the ignition and it starts - changed ignition still happens The wiring harness to the ignition seems tight i used a couple of wire ties to hold it on just to be sure any sugestions

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Tossing out a couple of ideas.
Doesn't really sound like a solenoid problem with the starting sticking on. Perhaps the starter is binding up. Is it properly shimmed? Do you have the rear support bracket on the starter?
As far as wiggling around wires to start the car, intermittent problems are hard to chase. Next time is occurs, don't move any wires. Set the e-brake (for safety) and look for 12 volts on the 2 purple wires on the neutral start switch. May have to pick up a clip lead for your meter or test lamp. You need to measure the purples as you try and start the car and may not have enough hands. Taking measurements here will give you an idea if the problem is towards the ignition switch, the NS switch itself, or towards the starter.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Folk's

That has happened to me many times and said NO MORE and installed the f-word relay. Now if needed i can bump the engine over, no more wires hanging off the starter and being a PITA to reinstall just 1 big fat wire to the starter for me. With a kicked out oil pan + headers the mini is hard e'nuf to get out. jmho, good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts