Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed a 'starter kill relay' in my son's car(a '78 Elcamino). The battery keeps dying(it's new), and I'm now wondering if maybe it's my brainstorm that is causing this. I'll try to explain how I wired this relay, hopefully someone with more automotive electrical saavy than me can tell if this is his(my) problem.
I have the relay wired breaking the feed from the ignition switch to the coil(HEI)(pink wire), terminals 87 & 30 on the relay. A 12 volt feed from the fuse panel feeding relay terminal 86. I have the ground, relay terminal 85, running through a hidden rocker-type switch. Switch is open=no ground, relay cannot close. Switch closed=provides a ground & the relay can function. Do I need a diode between the 86 & 85 terminals?? If so..could you please give a short explanation of why?Is this where the voltage is bleeding? I hope I've explained this clearly enough for someone to understand(MY head's spinning!!).
Thanks in advance for any and all help...Bill.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Where, on the fuse panel, is the 12 volt relay coil wire tied to? If you tied it to a constant source such as the BAT terminal it can cause a drain. If that's what you did the coil is always engaged. If you don't arm the system every time you get out of the car it drains the battery.
If that's how it's tied in move the coil wire to the ACC side of the block.
*EDIT*
Think there won't be any voltage on the ACC terminal in the key START position. The car won't fire. Try the IGN terminal.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 12-23-2002).]

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DUH!! Could not see the forest for the trees!
That's exactly where it's tied in ->BAT. Will move to a IGN terminal. Should've known better than that.
I thank you, Mr. Muha.
Happy Holidays,
Bill

[This message has been edited by befair (edited 12-24-2002).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts