Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a '65 Malibu with what the previous owner called a "later 350" engine and a four speed. He had told me that "sometimes the starter stays engaged and won't quit". (I find that it is quite often). Not knowing "electricals" well, I tried having str./solenoid rebuilt at a reputable place which I have used for years. Now, my peers tell me that was not a good attempt, that I should replace the ignition switch/lock cylinder (which is still the original in-dash style). I bought a set from Danchuk and replaced it, AND THE STARTER STILL STICKS AND RUNS ON?? Please give me as many ideas as you can, including the "chances" that both old and new switch were defective. (I will be away from this computer for two days) Thanks in advance. Mark '70 Elky 454 and '65.

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Mark, I dont know if the 65 is the same setup off the cuff, but the bezel that goes ove rthe ignition switch in my 67 had some intereference which wouldn't let the key come off START to RUN. You might just double check this is not where the problem is occuring. I ground down the little cover plate that fits on top of the switch and dont tighten the bezel much.

If anyone can tell me why this happens, I'd love to know. Hate jury-rigging things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts