Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a problem with my starter, it would keep running even when I would put my igniton to ON. Then it would smell like something was burning and smoke came out of my dash. I took it to a reputable electrical mechanic and he said that the ignition switch seemed to be getting stuck, he demonstrated this by turning on and off the car about 10 times. He said that if it continued to do it, he would fix it but that it didn't seem to be so bad. Well, I took it home and it got worse, when I try to start the car the starter continues to run even when I am sure I have put it back on the ON position and it starts to smell like it's burning. I will probably now have it towed to the electrical shop, I am terrified that my car is going to go up in flames. Has anyone had this problem?
'64 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Without being there to see it, I would just go ahead and change both the ignition switch and the solenoid/starter. Both items are available from places like Kragen. If you do the work or have it done, you should add fusible links under the hood. The 64 lacks fusible links. Add one between the battery and the horn relay and another between the horn relay and the bulkhead connector. Chevy did this in later years but the 64 lacks them. Without them there’s nothing to blow if something like the alternator or solenoid lines short. They don’t cost much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds right on the money. Change them both and I will bet your problems will be gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts