Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wellI thought I had all of my hot start problems fixed. but it crapped out me again today. not hte normal way tho so im thinking it may be a new problem. it all ran fine, then out of the blu when I tried to start it after coming out a store. the starter just clicks... and someties I hear a whine I think comeing from the distributer or coil.
when I try to crank it my voltometer drops to 8 is that normal? I think it droped to 10 when I started it before.
sorry about the length of this letter but im a college student and I really need to get to class tomarow.

Justin McIver

·
Registered
337 Posts
You need a new starter solenoid, that's where the whining sound is comming from that you hear. real common on chevys

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I'm not advocating that you generally fix things with a hammer, but if you're in a jam a rap or two with a hammer on the solenoid can sometimes get you on your way. Hurry or you'll be late for class!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a brandnew starter from napa.im running a ford solinoid too.
is there anyway to tell if its the ford unit that is bad?

is that the only thing that would cause this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would recommend using a minimum 10 gauge wire going from your Ford solenoid to the starter solenoid. Also check the terminal ends for proper crimp. Solder is the best way to go. Also inspect the positive cable starter end for tightness and lug penetration. I traced my BBC hot start woes to a loosely crimped wire. Heat expands metal; my embarassment occured in the pre-stage lane at the Friday night drags! Good luck...SD

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the hammer trick fixed it.
how long will it last after the hammer trick?

what causes the solenoid to go bad?
the starter has dragged sometimes from the first day I put it in.
I have one connection that is a bad crip. would that cause the solenoid ot go bad?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same problem, different car altogether. Whacking it with a hammer worked for about 3 months. I put in a new starter. Now it wont start unles I jump a wire from the starter to the battery. Starts right up then. All the connections and wires are on right. Any ideas?

------------------
----------
Anne
genx member (NM)
www.thuntek.net/annes/chevy
[email protected]

·
Registered
336 Posts
The solenoid on the new starter is junk. The plunger gets energized then pulls the starter gear towards the flywheel. That is why it works when you wack it with the hammer.

------------------
Frank W
Melrose MA
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
622 Posts
Anne: Either the connections aren't right or your ignition switch may be bad thus not sending 12 volts to your solenoid or the brand new (rebuilt?) solenoid is BAD - (that has happened to me - brand new AND bad) OR possibly you have a bad battery cable or really bad connection - exactly what are you jumping to the battery? the starter power or the solenoid?
Justin: there is a possibility that your starter needs shimming and is not engaging, thus the whine and no start. USUALLY though this is accompanied by a terrible grinding sound.It could be that the new solenoid is bad.. PS, YES a bad crimp or connection could cause this problem and the fact that you drop to 8 volts when trying to start makes me suspect a poor connection preventing enough power from getting to the starter to make it work right. Fix all connections first.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Pull the starter out and bench test it, take a pair of jumper cables, connect 2 ends to a battery, connect the other ends to the stater, tha negative (black) to a ground on the starter, and the positive(red to the battery terminal on the solenoid, with the solenoid upward take a screwdriver and cross the battery terminal on the solenoid and cross it with the small terminal on the right, if the starter spins its okay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds like a bad or dead battery. If you had a voltage drop within the system the voltage would not have dropped to 8 (9 max). Thats how you test a battery, you load test it with a vat 40.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.