Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Chevelle Malibu (Convertible)
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 with a 350, I have a AC Delco mini starter installed and the starter is dragging/grinding. This is the 3ed starter in 1 year, it works great for awhile then one day without warning it starts dragging. I go exchange for a new one, install works great, 4 months or so it starts grinding again, get a new one and it works fine….What is going on???

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Are you sure it's the starter and not the mounting bolts loosening up letting the starter move around?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it's the starter and not the mounting bolts loosening up letting the starter move around?
I checked the bolts every time before I go to make an exchange. The gear is warn down a little so I’m now sure what is causing that. I’m not using shims, they have not been needed.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Pics of the worn gear would helping you have them. Are you sure it doesn't need shims?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would look for a different brand starter.
I tried one of those high torque mini starters and that doesn’t work. I can’t get a standard stock starter to fit due to the headers. Just makes no sense to me how something can work fine for awhile than fail over and over again. There has to be a reason, maybe the flywheel teeth are causing the starter to fail over time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My last few mini starters had metric holes for the mounting bolts. I had to buy starter bolts from dorman with standard thread but metric shoulder to hold the starter in proper mesh. A standard starter bolt would hold it tight with the head for a while, then loosen up and grind.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My last few mini starters had metric holes for the mounting bolts. I had to buy starter bolts from dorman with standard thread but metric shoulder to hold the starter in proper mesh. A standard starter bolt would hold it tight with the head for a while, then loosen up and grind.
That makes sense, would the starter still be tight but twisted? Maybe it’s just out of alignment.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I'll mention about the correct bolts again.

Wrong bolts can be tight and yes, the starter will move.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Had the same issue years ago, replaced same brand over and over because it had warranty. Finally I got my money back, bought a different brand and had zero issues after that.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I had a 327 out of a 68 Caprice. the only starter that would work was the specific one for a 1968 corvette. several brands of remanufactured starters failed miserably . Apparently there can be subtle differences.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What causes that??? 6 months old…been in paint and body for the last 2 months, went in fine came back grinding.
Head Jaw Automotive tire Eyelash Auto part
White Jaw Grey Art Gas
Gas Pliers Tool Machine Nut

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

That looks like it needs to be shimmed out. The flex plate teeth are reaching the bottom of the bendix. It is too tight to engage and release properly so it either grinds or engages and hangs.

Reactions: LowRider67

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Rad looking car !

Reactions: LowRider67
1 - 20 of 38 Posts