Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 5 months ago, I had to replace the starter that was on the car when i bought it. I found out it was only 9 months old. I replaced it with the same thing(cheapie from Autozone). Now that it went dead, I decided to replace it(lifetime warranty) and get a high-torque ASAP. However, the new one didn't even work. :confused: Instead it ripped my flywheel apart. :mad: So after long hours of trying many shims, I finally started it, and drove it to autozone, where there was actually someone there who rebuilds chevy big blocks! But I tried to restart it, and the starter became stuck on the flywheel. We turned it a little to get it unstuck. It started, but then died. :eek: This has never happened. He gave me a new battery at 1000 amps(free) and it started again. However, even after I warmed her up, she died as soon as I shifted into reverse. He said it was probably the spark plugs. My questions: 1. What's a good high torque starter for my '68 and how many shims? 2. what's a good flywheel/flexplate? 3. what are the best spark plugs, considering i'm running over 10.5-11 to 1 compression? 3. does it sound like it could be anything else? I really need some help with this one as it sits in the autozone parking lot. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm far from an expert on this, but I'm pretty sure there are more than one ring gears for these cars. If the number of teeth on the starter and the ring gear don't match, thing will get messed up.

Again, I'm not sure about this, but some of the wizards on this board are. You just have to hope they check your post!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts