Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BBC has a severe case of starter drag when the car has warmed up, when cold it spins with no problems, could it be heat and the solinoid, or the starter was not replaced with a heavy duty version for the big blocks? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Verify your initial timing. Too far advanced and this same symptom will occur. Had mine at 14 and would happen. Moved to 10 and turns over easy when hot.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Gary--This is something that I went through on my big block starter. If you've already eliminated the possibilities of poor battery connections &/or ground connection between battery, frame & engine, that makes me suspect the starter. If the solenoid doesn't fail to "kick-in" when hot & you're experiencing "drag or slow crank", it probably means that the starter is heat-soaking, causing the slow crank (A.K.A. "grunt"). I have tried heat shields, exhaust wrap, etc. & they only slightly helped. I finally broke down (litterally) & bought a heavier service starter with heavy windings & contacts & it took care of the problem. Many other starters will fit, but when you warm her up, it separates the lighter from the heavier starters. If your problem is that the solenoid won't kick in & hold, you can replace it with a higher quality solenoid or wire in a "hot-start" separate solenoid to handle the starter only (I had to do that on my Street Rod). Hope that some of this helps.
Good Luck!!!! P.S. The reply about checking the timing is a great idea, along with surveying the ground quality.

[This message has been edited by odie (edited 03-31-99).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your starter has well worn brushes and the brush holder is getting close to rubbing this will cause the problem. It gets worse with heat. Electrical resistance is proportional to heat in the circuit. As the resistance increases it causes more heat which causes more resistance, and so on and so on!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had bad brushes in my starter and wouldn't do anything because the heat would cause more resistance. If I added extra voltage (i.e. a running car pushing the voltage up to 14+ from the alt.); it would go ahead and start. Before getting too indepth with the other stuff you might want to have your starter checked out. You can either bench test it off the car or (I'm not sure how well it checks thinks out)but you can take your car to Sears and they can test the alt and starter on the car. I think it will cost $5.00
Hope this helps
Luke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.