Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've searched the forms for (3) days before posting this. As far as I can tell I might need an aftermarket starter. I have a 350 SBC. I went from an auto (small flex plate) to a 4-speed w/ a 168 tooth flywheel, lakewood bell housing, 11" clutch. NOW, my original starter has a STRAIGHT bolt pattern.
I have read that you need a iron nose w/ a STAGGERED bolt pattern, since my original starter is a STRAIGHT pattern I would imagine the STAGGERED pattern will not bolt up to my block. If this is true is there another OE starter or do I need an aftermarket starter??? If I need an aftermarket does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks R.J.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Some blocks have both sets of holes

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
calm down......... it will be ok :D

the pattern WILL bolt up to your block :yes:

a stock starter from .... say a 70 SS 454 4 sp will bolt right on .... ( an you'll feel cool asking the parts guy for it :thumbsup: )

besure to get the correct bolts too :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark,
Now for the bolts, I did another search. Is this correct-The staggered bolt pattern requires the medium bolt that has a special shoulder Part # 3733289? As for that BB iron nose staggered starter my local parts store has one in stock.
R.J.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a PowerMaster starter with both patterns, straight and staggered. I used the 2 bolts, but plan to add a third one when I get the right one.
What was the price on that one, the stock BB one is $65.00, I'm not doing a core charge.
Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
You need the 3 5/8" bolt for the cast iron staggered nose starter. You can also get them in the HELP section at your local parts store. If you go to the dealer you have to buy five.

·
Registered
13,318 Posts
RJ,
The medium length bolts, 3733289, are ONLY, ONLY, ONLY for a CAST IRON nose, staggered bolt pattern starter.
An alum nose, staggered bolt pattern starter uses the LONG bolts.
The starter with the straight across bolt pattern (alum nose) uses one LONG and one SHORT bolt.

All of the above is SPECIFICALLY regarding original type GM Delco starters. Aftermarket/mini starters may be a different issue.

Chevrolet cars with the BIG, 168 teeth flywheel for a manual tranny, require the starter with a CAST IRON nose and staggered bolt pattern--------------------WHEN USING AN ORIGINAL TYPE GM DELCO STYLE STARTER!

The specific reason for this is because the starter bulge of the bell housing that must be used with the big flywheel is tooooooooooooooooo small for an alum nose starter. Thus, a starter with the smaller cast iron nose is required for the big bell housing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thank eveyone for there help, I picked the the BB iron nose starter and I found the correct 3-5/8" bolts! Tryed it loosely (still have to pick up the bolts) looks to be just fine. Now I just have to see if it needs to be shimmed. If eveything else goes well then the motor goes in at the next non-rain weekend.
Then a WHOLE new world of problems. GIDDY UP!!!

Thanks Again

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
another option that i always throw out there whenever i see a thread about this is to use a late model permanent magnet starter like GM started using in the early 90's. it's what they give you with the "ready to run" 502 crate motors, and came in everything from Astro vans with vortec 4.3's to 3/4 ton pickups with 454's from 92 or so until at least the '99 model year.
they are a bit spendy, but they are available anywhere and will clear the stock bellhousings in things like old Chevelles that are "supposed to" use a cast iron starter nose. they are light- about half the weight of a normal starter- torquey, and compact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts