Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new arp starter bolts, correct brace, and some shims.

Bolted up the starter and measured, it was very close to the 1/8" but when I did a test the gear was stuck to flywheel.

The test: disconnect bat cable from motor, so the motor doesn't spin, only the gear kicks out. The gear kicked out fine, but was stuck there.

So I figured that was wrong, so I added a .060 shim and it didn't stick any more but was no longer 1/8"

The starter works much better, but is not right. It engages most times, but doesn't keep turning the motor.

Question:
Was my test flawed? does the starter gear get kicked back automatically when the engine starts?

Thanks, KarlJay.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
The starter works much better, but is not right. It engages most times, but doesn't keep turning the motor.
Starter motor spins (sounds like a siren) but the engine doesn't turn? Might be intermittent--sometimes it cranks the engine ok, other times all you get is the siren noise--or it cranks briefly, then "lets go"?

Common as dirt. Replace the starter drive. I like the 5-roller (heavy duty) drives.

While you're in there, look at the starter drive fork. I bet the pads on the drive end are worn out.

Forks and drives are available at any real parts store. The forks are probably something that has to be ordered, the drive should be "in stock".

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Question:
Was my test flawed? does the starter gear get kicked back automatically when the engine starts?

Thanks, KarlJay.
When the engine starts, the engine speed unloads the gear and the spring pulls it back. If it is stuck roll the ENGINE forward with a breaker bar and see if you hear the gear pop back in.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just put a mini starter in and did a test turn over using a jumper and cables. It was also about 1/8 from the ring gear...no shims. It went in fine and turned the engine over nicely and quiet too...BUT it also didn't spring back until I took the load off the the starter gear... I checked the gap with .035 gauge the paper clip and it slid in and out fine no problems...
Thinking due to it being a new starter and a new flex plate/ring gear...once worn a little it will move back easily.

Is it common for the gear to get hung up like that?
Do you need to put any light grease on the gears... white lithium etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
it also didn't spring back until I took the load off the the starter gear... I checked the gap with .035 gauge the paper clip and it slid in and out fine no problems...
Thinking due to it being a new starter and a new flex plate/ring gear...once worn a little it will move back easily.

Is it common for the gear to get hung up like that?
Do you need to put any light grease on the gears... white lithium etc?

Thanks
Something is wrong. The starter drive should never hang-up like that.

No lube on the gears. It'd just collect dust and dirt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Okay thought so I'll take away the paint from under the starter mount then re torque and try it again...
maybe it is out a hair due to the paint..If not maybe add a shim and try...
thanks
let all know later on today...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wrong was Right!
So i cleaned the paint off the block thinking that maybe it was thick enough to make a difference not really but hey...
Nope So next thought okay maybe try a shim...nope In both cases it turned nice and cranked well but didn't disengage to gear from the ring gear!
So I thought okay I had the plugs out just to make it easier to try the starter... I put them back in and Viola! It disengaged every time!
So took the shim out tried it again and it was better than ever...
So Note to others try it with plugs out to make sure it turns etc...But then put the plugs back in and give it a few tries.....
Thanks to all who offered up opinions and advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts