Team Chevelle banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
For 1964 thorugh 1967 Chevelles the book says the VIN plate is, "...a plate welded to the left front door hing pillar post facing the driver." when in fact, the VIN plate is riveted, not welded.

On description of Fisher Body plates the author states on multiple occasions that the Style number indicates a V8 or 6-cyl engine. Not correct. The Style is a trim level only - numerous examples have been found where the body plate may say 13411 (a V8 by the books criteria) and the VIN is 13311, a 6-cylinder. Have seen too many examples for this to be a fluke.

Author also states, "The BODY NUMBER consists of a prefix designating assembly plant and the sequential unit production number at the specific factory (example: B100001 is the first car built at the Baltimore factory." This is also incorrect. What the author is describing is the VIN (e.g,. B100001 and the explanation) when in fact the BODY NUMBER is asigned by Fisher Body and has nothing to do with sequential production number. Up to 1969 the body numbers do appear to be sequential for particular model (i.e., convertible, hardtop, sedan, wagon). From 1969 through 1972 at least, the BODY NUMBER is not sequential and apparently is a data processing number asigned to the body for tracking purposes and are in no way sequential.

Rating7
ProsNice color photos, model types broken down and discussed
ConsIncorrect information on how VINs are attached and incorrect information about Fisher Body Plates
Would you recommend?yes

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I found it to be very helpful. SOmetimes we can get buried in the details but for me, I found it to be very helpful in making my car as authentic a restoration as possible.

Rating9
ProsExcellent resource. It may have a few minute details wrong but excellent overall.
ConsNone
Would you recommend?yes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts