Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just finished installing a new converter, put it in reverse. Back out of the driveway, put it in drive stall it up when sudenly... It gives. The car revs. Now I have no gears, read as NONE. Any ideas guys, gals? This sucks

·
Registered
46 Posts
2fast4u , did you put enough tranny fluid it ? a totally empty transmission ( th-350 ) takes 10 qts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds to me like you're a quart or so low.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The converter was full when I installed it. And we added 3 quarts to the tranny to make up for any we lost during install. The tranny worked fine before the install and the dip stick showed full. That night, a friend of mine helped me and we dropped the trans to see what we could find. The oil had aluminum flakes and smelt kinda burnt. We dissasimbled the trans, and all the clutches appeared to be fine. The only thing that we could see is one golf ball size hole above the valvue body, kinda near the gear selector that was directly over the band. There was another smaller hole also.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have a TH-350 and I am a do-it-yourself type of guy and when I get my Elky apart I'd like to rebuild the tranny. Is it hard to do? I've found some videos and books on how to do it in repro catalogs and I have a considerable amount of patients for stuff like this so do you think that I could do it? Any special tools needed for rebuilding?

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino non-SS aka Kaileigh
136800B122947 | November 25, 1969
Green Mist #45 w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
www.dreamelectric.com

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
No offence if you did this, but the proper way to fill a trans is to fill the trans to the full mark then start the engine and move the shifter through the gears, stopping in each gear for several seconds. This will put fluid in all the circuits. Check fluid again (engine running, trans in park) and fill as needed. Next drive the car for a mile or so, to warm the trans. Check again and add fluid as needed. Just pouring fluid in a cold, recently open trans won't fill it properly.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

Shawn, get Ron Sessions book "The Turbo Hydro 350 Handbook." It takes you through the entire process.

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 10-17-99).]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thanks Pat.. that should help because I've seen it in some catalogs before. I'll have to get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.