Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 69 Chevelle I recently purchased it supposedly has a stall kit. I am not familiar at all with this. (1) How do you correctly use it? (don't know that I will) (2) I have a noise when I crank this car that sounds exactly like a belt slipping. One guy told me it was my "stall" kicking in? What I'm getting at is this. If that squeaking IS this stall, I want it to stop!!!
I can't stand to listen to it! Its when you crank it and feather the accelerator that it does it. Is this the stall making this noise? Can it be stopped? What is involved/needed to get rid of it? Any literature where I can educate myself on the subject that someone knows of?
Thank you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That doesn't sound like your "stall kit" That is referring to a high stall torque converter. I have a TCI Sat nite special with a 2300 stall speed according to my tach No squeaks etc. You can check your stall speed by either holding the brake hard, then floor the gas, note the max rpm unless the tires start spinning. Also you can floor it while rolling in first and note the max rpm. Are there any noises in gear or driving? I would look for a defective torque converter or something rubbing etc.
I don't know if the really high stall units make a squeeking noise or not, what about some of the other guys out there??

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Frank,
Thank you for your response. I do not have any noise whatsoever while driving the car. It only happens sitting at idle and feathering the gas pedal. It sounds so much like a a belt slipping that I went down and purchased a new Gates cog belt and it does the exact same thing!!!
The only reason I thought it might be the high stall torque converter, is because someone who supposedly knows, said instantly, that is what it was when they heard it? It seems to not be as bad as the thing warms up? I really dislike this noise and want to find out what the culprit is. Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would remove the belts and start the car without it. If the noise goes away it's probably the belt. Don't run the car to long with no belts though, just long enough to investigate.

W

·
0 Posts
The correct way to tell what the flash or the stall of the converter is, roll along at low speed in high gear, punch the throttle and watch the tach, it will flash and stop at some rpm, that will be the stall of the converter. This is easier with a manual valve body, but you can do it with a normal one.

The noise may be your alt.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Digging up a really old post........

I am having a similar problem. Mine only does it in gear and stops the instant it is in park or neutral. Its really loud between 1000-2000 RPM and gets alittle quieter as RPM increases. I pulled the belt, no change and the noice is not coming from the motor. It shifts fine and there are no other issues when driving. I checked all flexplate bolts and the fluid is clean.

Help!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.