Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some stainless trim on my car that is very straight but it is very dull looking. Anyone got any good ways to bring back the shine? Ive heard of sanding and polishing but how should I go about it. What grit progression should I follow and what kind of compound should I use. This will be done by hand so any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do you have your own buffer? If you do, call The Eastwood Company. They have a lot of supplies and may be able to help. I had my 67 stainless done by ano-brite in Hollywood. It looks awesome. Just like chrome.
http://www.anobrite.com/

------------------

·
Registered
24 Posts
You don't need to sand them. If you have a bench grider just get the buffing wheels and do it yourself. Try to get as large a wheel as possible (10" or 11"). This will reduce your effort and also get a better shine. I bought some through Caswell (they are on the internet, but I don't have their info anymore). You can also buy the wheels at Sears, but they only have the smaller ones. There are different waxes to use and they can be bought at Sears or wherever you get your wheels. If you don't want to spend the time or money getting materials, take them to a chroming shop. They are pretty reasonable and can actually do a better job. I had a shop do the trim around the rear window and it looks brand new. They can also straighten them and take out the dings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I restored the stainless trim on my 66 using a bench grinder with buffer wheels and compound all purchaced at Sears. Just buffing progressing from medium to light grit compound resulted in excellent results. In fact they look like new. Although the process could be time consuming, it is definately worth the effort. I also taped out some dings with relative ease, but you have to be careful not to create any more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.