Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 3 SS wiring harnesses. 71 non gauge, 71 gauge and 72 non gauge. My question is about the #12 RED wires that go to the ignition switch connectors. Since I purchased all of these and did not see what they came out of I had to rely on the sellers info and my wiring diagrams. I assumed it was easy to spot a 72 because the fuseblock bulkhead connector is so different from 70/71. When I look at the wiring diagrams the 72 has only ONE #12 RED wire going to the ignition switch (doesn't 70-72 use the same switch?) When I look at the wiring diagrams the 70/71 has TWO #12 RED, one to each connector.
When I look at the wiring harnesses.
71 - non gauge ONE #12 RED ????????????
71 - gauge: TWO #12 RED
72 - non gauge: TWO #12 RED ??????????

THe only reason I am looking is because the 71 gauge harness is damaged beyond repair. I converted the 71 -non gauge to gauge. When I finished the mods I wanted to make sure that every wire matched the gauge harness. The 71 non gauge harness was very very clean, still had factory harness wrapping and was not messed with as far as I could tell. I unwrapped the harness from the ignition switch connectors back to where the #12 RED wires were crimped together and I can tell that there never was another wire attached there even though the wiring diagram says there sould be 5 wires in that crimped connection there are only 4.??????

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I have numerous dash harnesses for 68 through 27 Chevelles\Montys. On all 70\71 harnesses there are two #12 wires to the ignition switch, one to each connector. On all 72 harnesses there is only one. It is on the black plug. My wiring schematics agree with this, 70\71 two - 72 one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts