Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering this for quite some time now and i've been wondering what to do. I have a 70 Malibu and i really like the black SS stripes but should I? What do you guys have to say about it? Im not trying to pass my car as a SS i just like the stripes.

J

·
Registered
900 Posts
J I think malibu's look fine with the stripes.Go ahead. But they look even better on an ss hood.If money is available look into getting an ss style hood and have it painted to fit your car.That's what I did on my 71 I had back in the late 70's. Rick

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
J, In 70 you could order the stripes on a Malibu with a flat hood. I have only seen one and it didn't look bad at all.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 08-26-99).]

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
The D88 hood and deck lid sport stripes were not available with a flat hood! They were most likely painted on by the owner or the dealer.

Here's exactly what it say's in the 1970 dealer ordering book.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Stripes, Sport: Available only when SS Package with standard hood is ordered. Included when Cowl Induction Hood is Ordered...D88<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's what the 1971 book says;

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Stripes, Sport: Malibu Sport Coupe and Convertible Only. Included when Cowl Induction Hood is ordered. Includes sport striping on hood and rear deck. Choice of black or white stripes available on Coupe except when vinyl roof cover, black or white painted rood is ordered...D88.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 08-27-99).]

·
Registered
425 Posts
J,

It's your car. If you want the stripes,do it. I think you will like the look.

Elcamino,
Your right. What is confussing is the term "standard hood" which for the 70 SS package
is the SS domed hood without cowl induction.

------------------
Bill Taylor
Merrimack, NH
TC Gold Member #73

·
Registered
51 Posts
J,
I had a 70 malibu years ago have pictures but no way to post them. I painted it red with black stripes and had lots of complements, its yours go for what you like. I dont think you will be disapointed.

------------------
Mike69SS
Fedex aircraft mechanic
Team Member #355
Horn Lake Ms.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I have personally seen two '72s with original paint, flat hoods, and hood stripes.
Both were orange with white stipes. This combination was definitely available in '72 (possibly '71 as well).

Dan Carr
Team Chevelle gold #11
[email protected]

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's your car. Do what YOU would like, not how others feel.

Personally, I think the stripes almost stand for Super Sport. I have a '72 Malibu Convertible. I also have an original SS (domed) hood. The SS hood will be installed when I paint the car, but I will not have stripes.

I don't feel SS stripes belong on a non-SS car. Again that's my opinion. Stripes look great on an SS/CI hood, but I don't like them on a flat hood.

Brian

------------------

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a '70 malibu with original build sheet and everything and it came with the D88 stripe option on a flat hood. Many exceptions were made on the assembly line, especially at dealer request. Don't believe every published literature that you read. When you fail to accept the possibility because it defies literature, then you may pass up something rare that is completely documented! the malibu came with cranberry red paint (code 75) with the D88 hood and deck stripe option (blk) on a flat hood.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
bottom line is its not my car, so what does my opinion matter?? Do what you want with your car, you own it..make it like you want and dont worry about what other people think. I say if you like stripes put em on.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Hugh,

The published literture I referred to was the dealer sales album, this was the bible the salemen went by. The fact that you can prove the D88 is great, is there any way to see that build sheet? Not all dealers could or would finesse the ordering system to please customers.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
the sales info was released early or before the production of the cars began and chevy somtimes made changes later in the year, so the strips may have come from the factory.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think you should go for it if you like the way it looks. I have a 66 malibu but havn't getten to the painting part and since i don't plan on tring to win awards with it i have changed the colum shifter to B&M floor shifter. I know it isn't the same as ss stripes but if you like it then do it. some one might say it doesn't look good but who cares they don't own it you do and that is what counts. i like the ss stripes always adds something to the paint.. my 3 cents

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm most likely talking out my A#*, but please don't put all the SS emblems on it, and paint it just how you want to. I be sure to complment ANYONE who shows up with a Non SS, even if striped. Tonight at cruise, a solid red '67 and a yellow/black vinyl top/black stripes '67... and I loved 'em both! (the yellow one was done as SS , probably was, don't know if the other claimed to be SS, or actually was). All I know is nine out of ten 70-72 cars I see are SS, does that sound possible?

Dave H.
Houston, TX

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a 72 Malibu that I recently bought. It has a 71 front end with the SS grill. The body is Burnt Red, with black SS stripes. One thing the stripes will get you is a lot more respect from no-know-it import owners, not to mention a few more races. The ladies also like the whole Macho as I wanna be thing. If you would like to see a picof my mach SS, I have plenty!

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.