Team Chevelle banner

SS or Not?

4K views 60 replies 27 participants last post by  sparky1698 
#1 ·
I just discovered my new '72 SS 402 project car has holes in the body where the side trim used to be. Did SS cars ever come with the side mouldings? The car has the round guage dash, SS on the bumper and fenders, remote mirror on the DS but the door has been changed because the interior door paint is blue and the car is red. What else can I look at to differentiate this car to be a true SS.
Thanks Chris

No, there are no build sheets in the car.

#2 ·
Assuming you mean body side molding about half way up on the car. Ran the length of the door with a short piece on the front fender and a short piece in front of the RWW openings. So yes. it is possible your 72 SS had trim here.

#5 ·
Chris, 1972 Chevelle SS's did not come from the factory with any body side or rocker moldings.

Probably could have been dealer installed, but like you already know, unless it has a W in the VIN for a 454, can be verified by a build sheet or Canadian docs, there is no way to be 100% sure.

Mike

#6 ·
Well which is it? One of says it's possible and the other not. The car also has 12 bolt rear and rear sway bar if that helps. I understand all these could have been added to the car but it all looks time corrosion correct. In other words, someone must converted this car to an SS along time ago in order for the SS parts on it to look like it came with the car.
Thanks Chris

#10 ·
Ds remote only

#11 · (Edited)
I just discovered my new '72 SS 402 project car has holes in the body where the side trim used to be. Did SS cars ever come with the side mouldings? The car has the round guage dash, SS on the bumper and fenders, remote mirror on the DS but the door has been changed because the interior door paint is blue and the car is red. What else can I look at to differentiate this car to be a true SS.
Thanks Chris

No, there are no build sheets in the car.
Does the VIN # start with "1D37U2"? If it does, you either have an SS or Malibu 400. If it starts with 1D37W2 you have a SS. If its anything else you'll need the build sheet to figure it out.

1C37U2 would be a Heavy Chevy.

#14 ·
I just talked with the guy I bought it from who we do business with a a daily basis. I am going to leave the company name out of this but he owns a large GM musclecar parts company in northern IL. He siad the car is 110% an SS car. He basically made these points- The car has the original F41 suspension (which looks like it's never been apart), orig cowl induction hood (only avail. with SS option), original SS oval pod dash, original rusted out SS fenders, 12 bolt, buckets and other things that came standard with the SS package. Those options combined with the fact it was very rare for someone to order a big block without the SS option pretty much convince me it was an SS car that someone had put moldings on. THe thing that leans me that way is the F41 susp. which I believe was only avail. with the SS option.

#19 · (Edited)
all that stuff could be ordered or dealer installed........even the dash. U14 gauge option.

#20 ·
all that stuff could be ordered or dealer installed........even the dash. U14 gaufe option.
I understand that as a few other people have stated, and I know people have done stranger things, but would that make much sense to do back then. Let's pray there's a build sheet on the tank.

#23 ·
what color is it and does it have stripes.i got the same kind of car but no
door mldgs. round gages w/tach, ds remote mirror,working cowl hood,
402,12bolt pos,buckets,console,f41 susp,stripes and all the badges.
but no paper work so like they said it is either a ss or a malibu 400
to me its a factory big block chevelle

#26 ·
This may sound a little corny. But along with all these other things that these guys have mentioned, there is one little simple thing you could look at.

The holes for the rear bumper SS emblem should be punched, not drilled. One of the holes will be elongated. If someone put the SS emblem on a non SS bumper, I doubt they would go to the trouble of replicating the elongated hole. If it has the elongated hole, you might look at the brackets where it's connected to the frame to see if it looks original to the car.

I look for things like this.

Also, original paint on the front fenders and original emblem holes are a good indicator. Once again, they are punched, not drilled.

#28 ·
This may sound a little corny. But along with all these other things that these guys have mentioned, there is one little simple thing you could look at.

The holes for the rear bumper SS emblem should be punched, not drilled. One of the holes will be elongated. If someone put the SS emblem on a non SS bumper, I doubt they would go to the trouble of replicating the elongated hole. If it has the elongated hole, you might look at the brackets where it's connected to the frame to see if it looks original to the car.

I look for things like this.

Also, original paint on the front fenders and original emblem holes are a good indicator. Once again, they are punched, not drilled.
The holes in the front fender appear to not have been drilled. I'll look at the bumper as well.
Thanks

#31 ·
Has this car even been completely apart before? If it hasnt, you still have a shootin chance to find the buildsheet someplace.

Is the paint original? I was thinking the same thing about the paint. If its never been repainted, you still may be able to see the faded paint behind the SS embelems.

#32 ·
I bought the car as a roller minus engine trans, and interior so no build sheets inside car. The 2nd prior owner had it in his barn for 8-10 years and the mice got way into it which is why the interior is gone. Needless to say there was a lot of mouse turds in place of the build sheet on the tank. Oh well. GM should offer a database where you could pay to get the build sheet off your car. I'd pay $100 for it , and some people would probably pay more.
Chris

#46 ·
Oh well. GM should offer a database where you could pay to get the build sheet off your car. I'd pay $100 for it , and some people would probably pay more.
Chris
Interestingly enough, Pontiac has such a service. And its only $35. It would be nice if Chevy could/would too.

#35 ·
For what its worth, I have a 72 El Camino SS454 "W" code car that has side moldings on it. They have the GM part #s on the back of them and the car has the pin retainers on the doors, fenders and quarters to hold the clips. Why couldn't the side moldings be ordered on an SS? Just curious. The car looks legit to me.

#37 ·
I'm sticking to my guns on this one boys. No disrespect implied. I say body side molding (B84) was available for SS. Just like it would be for any other model. The question would be, dealer or factory installed?

Doing some digging to see if I can come up with some paperwork.

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.