Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 70-72 (?) Monte Carlo dash to put into my 70 Malibu. With the dash pad off how do I tell if the circuit board and wiring harness is there? I obviously don't know what I am looking for

I'm guessing that since the dash hasn't been removed from this Monte yet they are most likely still there. The dash pad was taken off so I was a little concerned.

Does the year of the Monte make a difference

Also if anyone who has removed one of these can offer some tips to save me some time it would really be appreciated. Sorry for all the questions......just trying to cover all bases........Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by cm70man (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If it's still in the car with the dash pad off just look thru the windshield at the back of the dash. The printed circut board is blue with copper strands running thru it look under the dash if the fuse panel is there then the wiring harness is still in the car check to make sure it hasn't been hacked up

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Hey Ya'll watch this...."

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the printed circuit board on the drivers side or passenger side? How big is it. I didn't notice it there when I looked at it so I'm afraid it might be gone. Is it obviously visible from looking through the windshield?

Can you buy this part from somewhere....is it expensive?

Is the wiring harness difficult to remove from the car?

Sorry for all the questions.....I was planning on taking off tomorrow to get this thing. I just don't want to cause myself a lot of headaches if it is missing these things........THANKS!

·
Registered
274 Posts
The circuit board is made of sheet plastic. If you can see the back of the gauges any at all you should be able to see if it's there. It outlines the back of the gauges and all your lil dash lites plug into it. You can buy all the parts aftermarket if things are missing. If the gauges arwe still there I would say the printed circuit is still attatched.
To remove the dash you need to lay up under it at and unhook all the elctrical connectors. There will also be pins that tuck the wires out of the way that need to be unhooked. Look real hard and find the mounting screws at the sides and top where the dash pad was. Drop the steering column and then start removing the bolts that hold the dash in. You might want some help taking it out for the first time because the dash is kind of flimsy and could crack in half if not handled carefully.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Does the dash you are looking at have a factory tach and gauges? If not it might not be worth the effort to install in your car. Figure if the instrument cluster is still in place no-one has removed the printed circuit board. The dash pad being gone really doesn't mean anything, they only take 2 or 3 minutes to remove.

As for the removal, it really isn't too hard, just have plenty of small wrenches and a 1/4 drive ratchet set. Just start taking unbolting the dash assembly from the firewall and keep all the small bolts.

Steve R.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Here's the easiest way to remove the dash.
Unbolt the fuse panel from the firewall inside the car pull the connector towards you inside the car and remove the one bolt thru the center of the harness halves.(the two harnesses should separate then) undo the door jam switches,drop steering column down,unbolt all switches from the column(leave switches hooked to harness).Unhook the speedo cable from the speedo. Unhook vaccuum hoses from a/c dashpots (mark each one and leave hooked up to the a/c control panel)Pull a/c harness back thru firewall into passenger compartment disconnect temp control cable from a/c box,remove a/c manifold(one duct in the center of the dash)
disconnect radio antenea disconnect stereo speakers at speaker and bundle wires up at the radio. Now you should be down to 7 bolts holding the dash in the car 1 at the base of each A pillar (lft&rt) A bolt at the bottom of each side of dash. 1 bolt just above the column under the speedo. 1 bolt at the top of the firewall just to the rt of the a/c control panel and one bolt just about behind the glove box. Have another person to help you remove it out of the car It's to awkward to do it yourself.
If you take your time and lable anything you unhook the whole job is a piece of cake.
Its much easier to remove the whole unit as a module rather than removing it a piece at a time. I'm sure that when Chevy built this thing it was assembled and then installed in the car

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Hey Ya'll watch this...."

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took off work and pulled the dash out today. Not to difficult but not easy either. The wiring harness and the printed circuit board was there. I had to leave the AC vacuum hoses and temp control cable in the car. I am going to use my AC/Heat control panel in the new dash (hopefully).

Thanks to everyone for their responses and especially Phil Mullaly for the very detailed instructions.....they were right on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.