Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm redoing my 72 SS dash. The chrome trim is 90% good or better but the black has some scratches that show the chrome.
I've been planning to shoot it all black and use the Testors paint pen but the more I work with it the more I admire the origianl chrome.
Is there any way to paint the black and save the chrome? I'd like to spray the black if I can mask off the chrome and just touch up the weak areas of the chrome.
Is there a pin stripe masking tape that is flexible enought to go around the gauges?

------------------
Doug, Chevl71
TC #625, GACClub CM028, ACES 05023
(OO ss OO)
chevl71 homepage

·
Registered
825 Posts
You may just have to shoot the dash a couple times with it taped off in 2 different ways. I am in the process of doing a restore as well and plan on touching up a couple of weak areas after I do the silver/chrome work.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If you want to try and mask it off the best tape to use would be what is called fine line tape. Its very thin and flexible and can make those tight turns. Any bodyshop or supplyhouse would have this tape on hand.

------------------
1970 chevelle
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a buick baby
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/sevt_chevelles

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you want you can get a tube of car lube grease(dark in color) Choose the right size artist brush cut brisels to short length and put the grease on the parts you dont want painted. Put some bandage gause on a tooth pick and wipe off any grease on the item to be painted Then repeat tooth pick and gause with a small amount of solvent to remove grease you might have gotten on the part to be painted.......Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron_Long:
If you want you can get a tube of car lube grease(dark in color) Choose the right size artist brush cut brisels to short length and put the grease on the parts you dont want painted. .....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got to agree with Ron. I can never get the tape to be straight so I usually use LIPSTICK. I get the brightest cheapest I can find and go over the areas I don't want paint on and spray away. They, when the paint is really dry, I use a little windex to remove the lipstick. I found it is best not to spray the lipstick if possible. ...I mean, don't spray it like you would if you really wanted paint there. The less paint there is on the lipstick the easier it is to remove. It always comes off, but it takes a while for the windex to get through a lot of paint.

Rob
"I don't wear it, but my car does occasionally!"

[This message has been edited by outbackrob (edited 05-20-2002).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
I tried the grease trick when I had my '69 dash rechromed then painted by myself. The trouble I had was that I waited til the paint was dry before trying to rub the paint off the greased lines. I got torn paint and jagged edges. I had to use a razor blade to score the edges of the exposed chrome areas. There was a lot of paint touch up required. If I ever do it again I'd use grease again but wipe off the paint on chrome areas before it's fully dry with a laquer soaked rag stretched over a finger.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tape: I use this blue stuff, sorry don't recall the name, but what's nice about it is the flexibility and the fact that it doesn't "peel off" what it's put on, like plasti-chrome, etc.

As for paint, I really really like the Chrome paint from Krylon. See... http://www.krylon.com/product/s_product_detail.asp?sgID=S21

On a properly prepared surface, it's truly amazing. Far superior to silver. No it's not as good as chrome, but consider the cost savings ($500 to re-chrome).

Later

Francis

------------------
1967 El Camino
1970 El Camino SS/396

1 - 8 of 8 Posts