Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a 70-72 SS dash with a tach and guages(temp, amps, feul) into my 72' chevelle which currently has the malibu style dash. Can I just buy a harness for this style dash with a tach and guages and connect it, or does it require more than that?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, but I am a little new to all of this wiring stuff. The guages I have are out of a 70' but I am pretty sure they are the same as the 71 and 72. The dash I currently have is a malibu dash with a long style speedo, idiot lights, and a temperature guage. The engine is a 307 and it has an auto trans. If I added the correct harness, could I connect this to the engine harnes, or would I have to replace this also. In the other posts, a 72 harness was being modified to work with a 70, would modifying mine be more or less difficult? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Functionally the 70,71 and 72 gauge dashes are the same, the 70 has green lettering while the 71-72 are white. Modifying your sweep dash harness would be more difficult. You will need to find a cluster connector that you can splice into your harness. I recommend you find a gauge dash harness, either new or used. You will also need a new engine harness, you can add wiring to your existing harness, however you will be far better off to buy a new engine harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts