Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 malibu and i want to make it a ss clone. I always wanted a ss but right know i can't afford one. I read some messages about cloning ss's and some people are against it. I have no intention of passing it off as a real ss, and if i sell it i'll advertise it as a malibu and i intend on keeping all the malibu badges in case i, or someone else whats to change it back. My question is i want to make it look real, i don't what to just slap a couple of ss badges on and have it look half done. I just want to know if anyone can tell me where there were ss emblems and if there were any body parts that are different from the malibu and ss.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Just my opinion here, I own a 70 Malibu. No plan to ever clone it, cost too much. But I am adding a SS hood, 12 bolt, front/rear sways, etc.

I think the reason some people get tired of seeing clones, is that other people think a clone job starts and stops after putting emblems on. Easy to spot those.

Just find and put on as many SS goodies as you can afford, just leave the emblems till last if you get it that far.

Best clone I ever saw was at a local shop. Owner was very vocal about it's Malibu past. He did a great job though.
DG

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

TEAM Chevelle Member #0086

·
Registered
37 Posts
Luck3,
I have a 68 SS, the differences I can think of off the top of my head are:

SS hood
SS 396 grill emblem
Black grill (top and bottom horizontal bars are stainless)
Satin Black rocker panels
Stainless molding running from rear wheel opening to back bumper on rocker
Stainless trim on top and bottom of panel between tail lights. (area between these pieces is satin black)
SS 396 emblem in center of above black panel (no Malibu emblem here)
396 or SS396 badge in front fender side light trim
SS marking in center of steering wheel
SS396 badge on door panel above arm rest
SS396 marked in the design on the piece of trim above the glove box
12 bolt rear end
396 engine

If you have any other questions, or need pictures, e-mail me and I'll try to help.
Good luck to your wallet on some of these pieces, GaryR

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This is why I chose to clone a car that never exisited - '67 SS427. But at least the factory put my SS emblems on. If they hadn't I wouldn't.

Go SABRES!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 06-08-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.