Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Scott, I saw one at the super chevy show about 4 years ago and the sign the owner had with the car said it was the only one made. I was and still am skeptical. I didnt really look for any proof. It was a blue car.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Scott,
In the very late 60s I knew a guy that had a 67 SS427. He swore straight up and down it was a factory car. I was skeptical. But every now and then something occurs that makes me wonder. Back then it wasn't important to have proof like it is now. The guy was a very believable person, but everyone on this site that seems to know about 67s say only the performance dealers like Yenko and Motion built these cars. So, did the factory really build 67 SS427 Chevelles? It goes on and on.

------------------

·
Registered
336 Posts
There is a guy in carlsbad, calif that has a SS 427 el camino.. my dad told me that HE says his dad was the original owner and it was special ordered.. i think it was for sale too

mike reeh

ps i think it was a 68-70 el camino not 100% sure

·
Registered
687 Posts
Go to search and type in 67 SS 427 and see if skips post comes up.He went in dept on explaining this.It was acually posted by Dean on 10-02-98 in chevelle tech heading.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887

[This message has been edited by 67ss (edited 03-26-99).]

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
The new Super Chevy has a picture and short write up on a "factory" 427 chevelle. I do not have the article here at work but I remember the guy was from Ontario Canada and they were recording times at a track with several other muscle cars.

·
5,856 Posts
I have a new set of 67 SS-427 badges and bezels to go on my 68 Elky. It's an interesting question whether this car was ever made or not. If not, wonder why the emblem manufacturers keep producing them?
Clint Hooper
68 Elky SS-427clone

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey Rod-
What new super chevy? The May 99' issue with the gold colored 72' Z28 on the cover? I'd like to read the article but I don't see it in there and my June issue hasn't come in the mail yet.(I doubt it's printed yet)

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

·
Administrator
3,371 Posts
I was doing some dusting in here and found the posting mentioned by Skip.

In Skip's words:

Guys,
This is what I know and believe about the crossed flag 427 emblems. These are GM, not repro, and went on the 66 and 67 full size cars (Impala, Biscayne, Caprice) that were equipped with the optional 427 engine. I remember seeing no optioned 2 door Biscaynes with only the L72 427-425HP and Muncie 4 speed,4.88 posi axle, strictly for racing. These cars had the emblems on them, as well as the well optioned Caprice with the L36 385 HP 427 engine.
Around this era, (1966 and 67) some high performance minded dealers, such as Balwin and Yenko, offered their customers( for a high performance price) the opportunity to have a 427 A body Chevelle. GM had a strict corporate policy at the time about no A body having over 400 cubic inch displacement coming out of the factory. The GTOs had 389s,The 442's had 400 cubic inch motors, and even Buick had the A body Gran Sport with the 401 (they cheated by 1)nailhead engine. Anyway, these dealers would order L72(427-425HP) shortblocks and Chevelle
Supersports with the L78 396-375HP engine. Now these two engines were practically identical(except for the shortblock) and used the same heads,intake,carburators, camshaft, etc.It was simply a matter of exchanging the
shortblocks, and using the existing components of the L78 396 engine on the L72
427 shortblock. For a little extra, if the customer wanted to advertise, the crossed
flag 427 emblems(a mandatory stock item) were added as well. For 1967, GM bowed under Federal government anti high performance pressure , and even cancelled the L78 option for the Chevelle. They also cancelled the tripower options that were available in 1966 on the GTOs and 442s, and had been planned on the Chevelle SuperSports for 1967 in two versions,L64 and L67. One was going to have
square port heads for the L78, the other oval port heads for the L34. No HP ratings
were ever released. I built a prototype 1967 Chevelle SS tripower according to what was in the Chevelle assembly manual, but that's another story. Anyway, a lot of high performance dealers were up in arms about this anti high performance policy, so they and GM's central office conjoured up the COPO plan. (Central Office Production Order)A minimum of 500 units were needed to make the order happen,(kinda like a fleet order) and starting in late May of 1967, 500 1967 Chevelle SS 396s with the L78 engines were ordered for these various high performance dealers. Most of these were low optioned models for racing purposes only. Another 112 L78s made it through production as well.Many of these 500 L78 Chevelles had the L78 396 replaced by the L72 427 to satisfy the customer's need for speed. This was a slick
way to bypass GM's anti-racing policy. Oldsmobile also did this with the 1968 Hurst
Oldsmobile, using the 455 cubic inch engine. These all went to Hurst. It wasn't until
1970 that GM allowed bigger engines in their A bodies. Hello LS6 454! As a part of all this, that is why a original matching numbers 1967 L78 is so rare today.I've documented only about 15 that still exist. I just documented another one in TN, that was inherited from the owner's grandfather. He was 40 years old when he ordered it to tow his boat.The grandson didn't know what he has, and he E-mailed me for info on the car. When he sent me all the numbers, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. It's a real one, and I told him what he had.( No, he's not ready to sell it yet, to sentimental)They either had the engines swapped, or didn't survive the drag racing.
Another interesting question is what happened to all those swapped out L78 blocks???Sorry to be so long winded, but I hope this helps clear up the mystery of the crossed flag 427 turbo-jet emblems.

-----

[This message has been edited by Al (edited 03-26-99).]

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
This is not long winded. I could read this stuff all night,---------------excuse me a minute.
Yes dear, i'm coming to bed, right now.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.