Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NC passes bill that could ban ‘squatted’ trucks

RALEIGH, N.C. (WSPA) — Lawmakers in North Carolina House of Representatives passed a bill that could ban a popular vehicle modification.

According to the sponsors of the bill, the Carolina Squat — also known as the Cali Lean or Tennessee Tilt — could pose a safety hazard to drivers.

The ‘Carolina Squat’ is when a truck is lowered or unmodified in the rear and raised at the front. This modification has the ability to block the driver’s view of the road and drivers ahead of them.

According to the bill, “A private passenger automobile shall not be modified or altered by elevating the automobile more than 3 inches from the manufacturer’s specified height in the front and lowering the automobile more than 2 inches from the manufacturer’s specified height in the rear.”

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
That looks to be beyond leveling. That's the gasser look only with a truck.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should be illegal just because we don't want to look at them. I guess it is still ok to install a 6" lift kit.
Reads that way, a standard lift does not impair vision as much as a squat.

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
Another ill-conceived law which will be abused by some in authority. I haven't seen that look here and doubt Texas will ever outlaw vehicles with altered ride heights. Some people need them and it's good for the economy. 🤣

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,973 Posts
Nothing like having a backwards hat wearing mullet headed dumbass tailgate you with his squatted yee yee ride blinding you with unadjusted LED ebay headlights and announcing his feral ferocity with gutted cats and stock exhaust cut off before the muffler. Let's not forget the stacked spacers on the extreme offset wheels so their rubber band tires stretch the full width of their lane. It's awesome.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Sure don't need a law to ban the Squat. Darwin's law will take care of it.
My 2 cents, about as stupid looking as a donked Chevelle.

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,973 Posts
For everyone not familiar, this is all you hear around here. Although I'm damn sure there's laws about exhaust systems the law seems to have forgotten about it.

It's been the trend here in NC for a while and I'm tired of it. It'd be one thing if it was just squatted (dangerous, can't see in front of you), then they put every LED light they can find on it blinding you in oncoming traffic, and then go all out on making it as loud as they possibly can. Horsepower? No. Performance? No. Just straight pipe it and put the largest, most cartoonish tips on there to magnify my brilliance.

Sorry about getting a little passionate about this, just extremely tired of hearing pos drive by. Been dealing with it so long I've had time to figure out why that angle. They're used to being in car seats, feels natural to them.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
For everyone not familiar, this is all you hear around here. Although I'm damn sure there's laws about exhaust systems the law seems to have forgotten about it.

It's been the trend here in NC for a while and I'm tired of it. It'd be one thing if it was just squatted (dangerous, can't see in front of you), then they put every LED light they can find on it blinding you in oncoming traffic, and then go all out on making it as loud as they possibly can. Horsepower? No. Performance? No. Just straight pipe it and put the largest, most cartoonish tips on there to magnify my brilliance.

Sorry about getting a little passionate about this, just extremely tired of hearing pos drive by. Been dealing with it so long I've had time to figure out why that angle. They're used to being in car seats, feels natural to them. View attachment 713855
You will always have people who think it looks or sounds cool.... they are "making a statement". While I don't agree with jacking up a truck or "squatting it", to the point of messing with the center of gravity (making it easier for the vehicle to roll over), or removing most of their exhaust system to get it much louder, to each their own, but there are levels of noise pollution that should be adhered to and enforced by law.

I gave my son my F250 crew long bed 6.0 diesel 5 years ago, and while I owned it I had the truck lowered by 2 inches (clearance meant nothing to me nor did I do off road), and it did great for towing my trailer with my bobcat and it handled much better. The exhaust on that truck was also redone with the muffler delete (during a bullet proofing of the 6.0 diesel), but all you heard (because the exhaust system was so long) was a low rumble (much more quiet than a car with headers), and when you got on it all you heard was the whistle of the turbo spooling up.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
How about the idiocy of the massive offset wheels that stick 4+ inches OUTSIDE of the fenders/flares?

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
it's funny, just shows our age. remember growing up and we would jack up the rear of our cars? N50 15s on 10x15 mag wheels? cherry bomb or thrush mufflers? My folks gave me a curfew of 10pm until I replaced the burnt out cherry bombs I bolted to my headers. And jacking our cars up didn't really do much for handling. jim

·
Registered
Ryan
307 Posts
Thank god

·
Premium Member
348 Posts

can they make this illegal too? I cannot for the life of me understand it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
over half the trends of mods from kids these days with their cars/trucks, have no performance or even any other perceived benefit, in fact, it's usually the opposite. Lowering to the point of bring undrivable??? excessive camber???? Pick up truck squat? this all just makes me laugh.

Reactions: VinceS427bb

·
Registered
930 Posts
Personally I'm not bothered by loud, lifted trucks. We have our share of them around here, and after all, they are somebody's toys not unlike our Chevelle's - and if we're being honest, the sight of our old classics on the road pisses some people off too. Oh well. can't make everybody happy 🤷‍♂️

The "squat" thing really does look incredibly stupid though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts