Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1969 SS 396 350hp, M-21, light cam but stock from there. Clock even still works.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions. My stock 69 SS has started to squat and pull slightly to the right rear upon acceleration and during robust shifting. 396, 350 hp, posi and M-21 trans. Installed new Bilstein shocks couple of weeks ago which improved the ride but did little if anything to the squat. Tires are new and at 32psi. I’m racking my brain trying to determine where I need to look next.
you guys are smart - give me some suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Looking for suggestions. My stock 69 SS has started to squat and pull slightly to the right rear upon acceleration and during robust shifting. 396, 350 hp, posi and M-21 trans. Installed new Bilstein shocks couple of weeks ago which improved the ride but did little if anything to the squat. Tires are new and at 32psi. I’m racking my brain trying to determine where I need to look next.
you guys are smart - give me some suggestions. Thanks.
When mine did this I found the upper rearend housing bushings had been destroyed.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Another vote for bushings.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
1,117 Posts
Check the bushings first, probably could use replacement if still original, THEN, an air bag / Air Lift in the right rear coil spring minimum, use both and a little higher pressure in the right one....and go easy on the air pressure, these are not air shocks that you can put 100# of air in, start in the 5-10# range and go from there. Good luck. Lots of sound advice here.

·
Registered
1969 SS 396 350hp, M-21, light cam but stock from there. Clock even still works.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't wheel hop - in fact the grip is surprising good. Just a bit unnerving when she dumps the right rear. Rear end was dropped, rebuilt and serviced about 1000 miles back but, I can’t honestly remember if we replaced the upper and lower bushings. Is that something I’d be able to see fairly well from beneath the car or do I need to drop the shocks and manipulate the differential?

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
How old are the Rear Coil Springs ?

I have these Rear Shocks in my 67 which are set at 50/50
Comp Eng 3 Ways # 2720 Competition Engineering 2720: Rear Drag Shock Extended Length: 22.87" - JEGS High Performance
and these Air Lift 1000 Air Bags # 60744 Air Bags/2009 i put in both the Newish Coil Springs/2012
with 0 /bs of Air in the DriverSide and 0 lbs of Air in the PassengerSide when driving on the Street
usually only put 5-10 lbs of Air in the Rear PassengerSide if the car Twists ON Launch at the Track

Car rides okay with 0 lbs of Air 2 in the Bags and never Squats/drops down on one side or the other

I am thinking it is the Coil Spring on the PassengerSide or the New Shock that is weak !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The coil springs are less than three years old -OEM style. Ride height is still level. Shocks are brand new and we’re press tested before install. They seemed equal and consistent. No oil leakage noted. I think I’ll take a look at the bushings later on today. That seems the most likely. Not looking to add an air bag or coil overs as I am trying to keep it stock and or stock in appearance. Trailing arm replacement or upgrade might be an option if bushings look bad on the lowers.
thanks again to everyone for offering thoughts and ideas. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Replace the two bump stops with two of the veritable spring rate poly bump stops. I mounded mine about 1-1/2" from the frame. The more the cars frame presses against it the stronger it gets.. I put these on my el Camino instead of a rear sway bar. Herb Adams was real big on these..

I dont have a photo of my rear bumpers but here's the ones I put on the front..

Gas Auto part Metal Machine Fashion accessory

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. The coil springs are less than three years old -OEM style. Ride height is still level. Shocks are brand new and we’re press tested before install. They seemed equal and consistent. No oil leakage noted. I think I’ll take a look at the bushings later on today. That seems the most likely. Not looking to add an air bag or coil overs as I am trying to keep it stock and or stock in appearance. Trailing arm replacement or upgrade might be an option if bushings look bad on the lowers.
thanks again to everyone for offering thoughts and ideas. I’ll keep you posted.
Hope it is the Bushings

You cannot see the Rubber Air Bags and no one knows they are there but me
The only way to see them is if the car is up on a Lift or someone craws underneath the car with a Flash Light
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update - the bushings are clearly in good shape. Everything’s tight. I’m thinking my best bet is to replace the coil springs. Their the oldest component and replaced several years ago There are several to choose from now and the HDs which weren’t available when I did the swap might be a good move. Certainly the cheapest of all the options. Might as well start there. Really appreciate all the post and ideas. Hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
Do you have adjustable control arms? If so it is critical to have them adjusted evenly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Update - the bushings are clearly in good shape. Everything’s tight. I’m thinking my best bet is to replace the coil springs. Their the oldest component and replaced several years ago There are several to choose from now and the HDs which weren’t available when I did the swap might be a good move. Certainly the cheapest of all the options. Might as well start there. Really appreciate all the post and ideas. Hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Test things first a bit before just replacing things.
Swap the springs side-for-side, see if the problem follows. If not, then so the same with testing rear shocks.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Your suspension is acting the way it's supposed to with stock components. The engine torques to the right lifting the left front and squatting to the right rear. Putting the airlift bags in the right rear spring will help keep the car level.

Reactions: LS7
1 - 20 of 22 Posts