Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for a few years my tried and true methods of using Adaware SE and Spy Boy S&D, turned out to be a bit of a dissapointment.

I went on a business trip last week to Chicago, when I came back my PC wasn't working properly. Very slow response and downloads, and mysterious pop-up windows appearing out of know where. I knew something was up. I ran Adaware, other than some tracking cookies, nothing showed up.

I ran S&D, and it found a 6 items, 1 which was clearly an ISSUE, Virtumonde. Even after cleaning, Virumonde never went away. VitrtuFix found nothing, nor did my virus scanner.

So, I decided to drop the cash on Spyware Doctor, and guess what... 220 items found, 2 of them trojans, several malwares. The Spyware Doctor scan is really fast compared to the other products. I don't know if the non-free version of Adaware adds more definitions, but for now, I have uninstalled Spy Bot and Adaware. I'll be sticking with spyware doctor now, also using Ccleaner, and Free Internet Window Washer <----Good Stuff here.

Big D

·
Administrator
17,156 Posts
Ran all of the above +.
You seem to be having better luck with Spyware Doctor than I did.
Maby a new release.
SD would scan and show me all sorts of issues.
Wehn I finally decided to track the issues back into the registry ,I found quite a few were bogus.
Sent an e-mail to SD and asked why it was posting non-existant issues.
Was sent a refund ,not an explainition.
Had the same with an e-mail program.
It found over 90 spams a day.
Switched to another program and that one found 3.
Vendor refused to respond.
If your happy ,great ,but don't assume your seeing actual results in those scans.
Take a minute and see if they actually exist in the registry.
Software companies only make money if you renew.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ran all of the above +.
You seem to be having better luck with Spyware Doctor than I did.
Maby a new release.
SD would scan and show me all sorts of issues.
Wehn I finally decided to track the issues back into the registry ,I found quite a few were bogus.
Sent an e-mail to SD and asked why it was posting non-existant issues.
Was sent a refund ,not an explainition.
Had the same with an e-mail program.
It found over 90 spams a day.
Switched to another program and that one found 3.
Vendor refused to respond.
If your happy ,great ,but don't assume your seeing actual results in those scans.
Take a minute and see if they actually exist in the registry.
Software companies only make money if you renew.
I'll tell you this much... after Running adaware, and S&D... and both of them coming up blank, I was still getting nasty windows opening and my PC was bogged down.

I did a system restore, went into safe mode and downloaded Spyware Doctor version 5.5 and paid for the year. Did the scan, removed the 220 items that showed up, and restarted. Guess what, no more pop-ups and the computer is moving like new again.

Spyware Doctor didn't just find registry entries, but several files as well.

You can download the Free Version of Spyware Doctor and run a scan, to see if there is any truth to what I am saying. I did notice that after I paid, that there were several more updates and a malware-detection engine that was downloaded. It was only 29.00 for the year... If it turns out to be crap then.. so be it. I did look it up and it has high ratings on several Computing sites as being the best and most thorough.

Damn.. I'm sounding like a poster boy for this product. In anycase.... it worked for me.

Big D

BTW... gas is between $4.07 and $4.16 for the cheap stuff here today.... insane...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I always liked SpyBot S&D and Adaware, until about the last year or so then for some reason they became fairly useless. They both have recently released new versions that work much better, might give that a shot. Spyware Doctor is decent as should be most anything you have to pay $$ for, IMO.

Just stay away from the "security suites" unless you want to seriously bog down your pc.

·
Administrator
17,156 Posts
Big D ,my license is still active but I don't use it as it seems to find "stuff" that appear to be phantoms.
Tried it yesterday (full version not freeby) and it found 2.
Went to the alleged source in the reg and nothing there -even a reg search came up with nothing.
I'm glad your have good luck with it but I'll not be renewing ti.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.