Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in one of the discussions someone mentioned that they were spraying their dist.with wd-40 to keep it from rusting. Has anyone,besides me,had problems with parts actually rusting more after applying wd type oil,esp. when putting them away for storage? I rusted up a set of beaut. carillo rods once and it seemed that once the spray "dried up" they attracted more moisture than normal. Rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not on a car.
I once wiped down a stainless steel revolver with WD40 and stored it in an enclosed steel cabinet. A week later there were small rust spots all over the gun. Good thing stainless buffs out well.
That's when I quit using WD40.

------------------
1967 Malibu
1967 Impala SS396 Conv.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I also quit using WD 40 years ago. It is the most advertised, but far from the best. CRC products, Liquid Wrench, and a few others work better for me.
If "you get what you pay for" and WD-40 is the cheapest stuff, then - - - - -

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use LPS Oil to coat the bare chrome moly chassis on my dragster. The WD-40 has too much solvent in it so that it breaks rusted bolts loose. The solvent evaporates, and the light oil goes with it. LPS is much more oily and keeps the rust away longer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
LPS comes in different formulas depending on what you want it to do, penetrating for rust breakage, coating for rust prevention, water displacement on electrical parts, etc. Far better than WD-40 because you can pick the right formula for your application.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I use the product LPS. SSteve is correct, they come in several formulas. I like LPS 3,
It goes on fairly thin, penetrates and then forms a wax like film. This is great for storage but takes a little extra effort to remove. My brother sprayed the entire bottom of his car with the stuff 3 years ago and it is still on. It is not cheap though, you might pay up to $9/can. A similar alternative is a product called "Corrosion Pro" does basically the same thing but with a thinner film of protection; probably ideal for seasonal storage. You can get this stuff at the hardware store for about $3.50/can. Hope this helps. Phil

·
Registered
403 Posts
Rainbowkid
I agree

I had a car (73 Z28) I bought that had gone almost completely under water. A fresh water main had broken and the car was in an underground parking lot. I bought the car in winter. I did not have time to fix the car so I sprayed all the electrical parts including the fuse box with WD-40 thinking it would displace the water and keep the components from rusting. BIG MISTAKE!!!!

two months later I checked on the car and EVERYTHING WAS COVERED IN RUST

I think wd-40 works good to loosen rusted parts but DEFINITELY DOES NOT PREVENT RUST NOR PROTECT PARTS FROM RUSTING

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

[This message has been edited by Mr. D (edited 12-01-99).]

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
If you can get Zeppreserve, Its the best. Especially with things like an-fittings. I had a oain in the a$$ time assembling them with LPS-2, that I had to drive 20 miles back to the speed shop to replace 2 stripped ones. The fittings got tighter and tighter when using the zep and I was barely pulling on the wrench, it felt like I could almost tighten it all the way with my fengers. I havent seen it in any store, I got some from a VW dealer I worked at.

Chris R.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another good preventive that you probably already have is ATF. It penetrates medium carbon steel and cast iron, so it's not just a surface barrier. WD-40 is great for loosening things, but not much good for anything else. Also, if whatever you are coating gets hot (brake parts, etc.) WD-40 crystallizes under high heat.

LPS is great stuff too.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.