Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 chevelle that i'm restoring and i have the console out to recondition. it's brown and i want it black and i'm not sure want kind of paint to use (vinyl paint or not). any help would be appreciated.

------------------

·
Premium Member
28,418 Posts
I've used low gloss black engine enamel to paint non black consoles..comes out mint and doesn't flake off.Just clean it thouroughly and lightly scuff it with red scotch brite pad.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Registered
543 Posts
for that hard plastic use 1)detergent and water then 2)sem-15 "sand free" plastic prep and 3)black laquer (pro color)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Use SEM sandfree then sem Plastic & Vynal Landau Black.... spray the paint on while the sandfree is still wet..2 light coats and it will be perfect..

I don't know about using engine paint on plastics.. you may be taking a chance, especially on a black object that has a wide thermal gradient..JMO..

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES

·
Premium Member
28,418 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JodySirmans:

I don't know about using engine paint on plastics.. you may be taking a chance, especially on a black object that has a wide thermal gradient..JMO..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I painted my console 4 years ago with engine paint..still looks MINT..and I've painted several other consoles black with the same paint.I've also painted them with SEM vinyl dye with Sand Free...they look the same,and durability is not an issue with either one,especially with the engine paint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JodySirmans:
Use SEM sandfree then sem Plastic & Vynal Landau Black.... spray the paint on while the sandfree is still wet..2 light coats and it will be perfect..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by leeds:
for that hard plastic use 1)detergent and water then 2)sem-15 "sand free" plastic prep and 3)black laquer (pro color) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advise. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr 4 speed:
I painted my console 4 years ago with engine paint..still looks MINT..and I've painted several other consoles black with the same paint.I've also painted them with SEM vinyl dye with Sand Free...they look the same,and durability is not an issue with either one,especially with the engine paint.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advise. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr 4 speed:
I've used low gloss black engine enamel to paint non black consoles..comes out mint and doesn't flake off.Just clean it thouroughly and lightly scuff it with red scotch brite pad.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advise. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by leeds:
for that hard plastic use 1)detergent and water then 2)sem-15 "sand free" plastic prep and 3)black laquer (pro color) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advise. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JodySirmans:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
485 Posts
I used the SEM vinyl dye and it turned out great. I even re-did my dash housing. I used SEM cleaner and then the plastic (or vinyl) prep. Just apply the dye in light coats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1Quik7D:
I used the SEM vinyl dye and it turned out great. I even re-did my dash housing. I used SEM cleaner and then the plastic (or vinyl) prep. Just apply the dye in light coats.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>thanks for the advise. i appreciate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts