Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this topic has been bet to death but, I'm fixin on replacing the drivers rear quarter with a full quarter panel with the sail. Can anyone that has replaced one draw an outline to were all the spot welds are located, I can see most of them around the door and window but not to good around the trunk and bumper area, reason being I haven't blasted or stripped the paint yet becuase I have a few areas that are rusted pretty bad and afraid I'll miss measure or not see how it is to look like even if half of it is rusted away. Oh I guess it would help on the year of car also, it is a '70, if anyone could help it would greatly be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
It is just a hard queation to answer. That car was built in time when there ws no modern day robots welding spots exactly in the same place everytime like today.

The perimeter of the panel will have spot welds anywhere it is flat. I'd say to grind lightly around the mounting edges and see it the spots become visible for you after the paint is removed. The back glass flange will have many as will the area under the bumper. Dig out the lead in the sail panel with some moderate heat.

Just get started and they will turn up.

Larry

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Take a wire wheel and clean off the area's you know contain the spot welds you want to remove and work your way around on each edge. When you start getting most of them apart you should be able to see where some more are. Then take the wire wheel again and expose them.
The old cars (and probably a lot of newer cars) have the spot welds randomly spaced. On my 74 Nova hatchback with full quarters going on it I also found some that were double hit (a spot weld was done and then the tongs moved just a tad and it was spot welded again).
I'm not for sure on your car but on mine there were panels added after the quarters like the roof skin and the hatch opening weatherstrip channel. On these spots it took some more work but I was able to drill through a lot of the welds pretty close to where they were and then slowly enlarged the hole with a unibit until they seperated.
Replacing quarters is just an experience you have to go through and you will understand more once you get into it.

Take your time and then check and recheck the fit before doing any final welding.

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I was just wanting a general guide to were or how many there is around the quarter panel, not wanting to get right down to fraction of an inch of were there at. Just a guide line kinda to let us know were to look for them, but I appreciate the info from you guys. Thanks

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
They are all around the panel. The wire wheel would work good to show thier locations.. They are pretty easy to see because the metal is dented in most if it weld locations. Use a spot weld cutter where you can, it speeds up the weld removal. You can also cut 90% of the panel out with shears then work the welds without dealing with all the panel at one time.

In general they are (going around the passenger panel clockwise "from memory"):

At the sail panel top mating to the roof
Along the door down to the rocker
On top of the rocker, behind the quarter are a couple (on a flange)
On the Wheel well attaching to the outer wheel well
Along the bottom of the trunk drop off, then around and up the trunk drop off
Then there's another flange ant the back of the quarter that has a a couple, it folds back under
Then there's welds all along the trunk seal area. Don't get over excited in this area you can easily damage your trunk gutters. Take it slow on the welds in this area when removing old panel.
Then there are 2-3 welds on another flange that is accessible from the trunk, it mates to the rear window-to-trunk panel (not sure of that panel name)
Then all along the rear window frame.

Thats the general area's. You may find (like I did) that many of the panel behind the quarter also need replaced. Trunk drop off, Wheel wells, etc.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts