Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the sportsman 2 heads but some people said that you had to run 1 3/4in headers, and i only have 1 1/2 and i don't want to buy new ones right now. Does anyone have experience with these heads, and can i run my headers with these heads.

thanks,
lucky3

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a 355 with Sportsman II's on it once. I think I had 11/2 inch headers also, and no problems. The exhaust ports on the heads should be able to tell you if the headers will work or not.

------------------
66 SS Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321 "There is no Replacement for Displacement"

·
Registered
85 Posts
i just measured the sportsmanII's that are sitting on my workbench, the exhaust ports are square and measure 1 3/8 by 1 3/8 but if you measure from corner to corner it is 1 3/4 so i would think you need 1 3/4 headers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sportman II's need 1 3/4"min headers. The primary tubes need to be round also. I had 1 5/8 tubes before and they kept trashing header gaskets. My exhust ports measure just under 1 3/4 at the widest point. Hooker Super Comps fit great in my 71'. They where big $$ for headers though. I mesured some Headman "1 3/4" and they wern't big enough. The where squared where they are welded to the flange. In my opion if you want to do it right you need the $300something Hooker super's.
My ran noticable better with the 1 3/4.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
A racing buddy of mine runs Sportsman II heads with 1 5/8" headers. Turn 11.60"s and never had a problem with the gaskets. 1 1/2" might be a little smallish. but I'd use them since you already have them. It really depends on the cam and the RPM you want. 1 1/2" will make more low end torque but restrict flow. 1 3/4" will start to shine above 6500 RPM but could cost you low end torque. 1 5/8 are the best choice below 6500 rpm. My 13 sec EC has 1 5/8" but not Sportsman heads. I have a set of 1 1/2" shorties for my 66EC daily driver with SR Torquer heads. I just need to install them.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 02-04-2000).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.