Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a month ago I was able to purchase a 70 Ls6 Monaco orange Chevelle. Once I got the car I went through the thick three ring binders with paperwork I got the original owners name and was able to find him living in san diego. The magazine article and all the notes written by previous owners stated Mr Peru ordered the car. I called the number I found for him and before I was done leaving a message on his machine he picked up! He was more than willing to speak to me about the car and one of the first things I asked was what made him order the car that way and to my surprise he didn't order it! He was about to be stationed in pearl harbor (he was a submariner) and really wanted a hemi cuda but the dealer couldn't guarantee he'd get the car before he left. So to Bradley Chevrolet he went. He said when he got there they had 5 LS6 chevelles on the lot this was in October of 1970 he couldn't remember all 5 colors green yellow and the orange are the ones he could. He Drove the car all over sold it once in 74 and got it back. He said the reason he sold it in 1977 was gas quality had gotten so poor he couldn't really drive the car anymore and had a corvette and a hemi cuda at that time so the Chevelle went. I mailed him some photos of the car and the January 2002 muscle car review issue it appeared in. he called me once he received the photos and said he thought hed neber see it again and said he felt like a bit of a celebrity having his name in the magazine. I told him if he ever wants to know how the car is doing or just wants to talk cars not to hesitate to call me he said hes gonna dig up some photos of the car and send me a few from his time with it! I love these cars but knowing the history and talking to previous owners or just guys who were around when they were new is my favorite part!

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,298 Posts
How far from home did these cars end up?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

the original owner was from san diego was in Oklahoma for military related things car was shipped to Hawaii back to san diego then sold to someone in Minnesota from there its foggy but long story short it ended up back in California and now I have it in rhode island

Reactions: LeoP

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
That’s a great story. So cool to have that connection with the original owner. Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
Congrats on reaching your original owner. Appreciated the story.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,298 Posts
the original owner was from san diego was in Oklahoma for military related things car was shipped to Hawaii back to san diego then sold to someone in Minnesota from there its foggy but long story short it ended up back in California and now I have it in rhode island
Wow! That puts a new meaning to 'See the USA in your Chevrolet'.

Reactions: KCMO454

·
Registered
250 Posts
My car was originally sold new at Red Deer Motors in Red Deer Alberta & spent many years around central Alberta. It was then sold to a guy in Edmonton Alberta who bought it as a 40th birthday present for his wife, then it went to Ft St John in northern BC for 8 years. I found about it 20 years ago in BC & has been in my possession since then. From the time we talked about buying a LS6 till it was in our garage was 1 month so the farthest it from was where it was sold is 500 miles.

Reactions: 69SS454

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
583 Posts
That’s an awesome story. Sadly, the original owner of my car passed several years ago. The gentleman from whom I purchased the car bought it from the original owner’s estate. I know it came from Colorado, and was purchased originally by a woman that retired soon after the purchase.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Great story.

I know my cars history was the guy I got it from took it on a trade and the guy before the trade guy. That jerk hacked it up and I inherited
Some suspect work.

Thousands of dolla dolla bills yalll later
I’ve got her back right +++++

Still need it painted proper tho. He did a half
Ass colour change...

Grr.

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
I was at a yard sale last weekend wearing my chevelle shirt, 3 guys standing around, 1 guy says the homeowner owns a chevelle. We get to talking, he has his car down the street put away for the yard sale, he shows me pics and I recognized the car from years ago. I remember him wanting to buy my 70, turns out i bought the chevelle from him and his buddy who parted it out in 2005. He wasnt around so his buddy sold the carcass and delivered it.
I told him next time I'm out with the chevelle I'd stop by
today I was driving by, stopped and he was off at work, so his wife snapped some pics for him. And he only lives about 1 minute from my house. jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts