Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my battery being drained within 24 hours and I think I have finally narrowed down the problem. I took the electrical tape off the wire that runs from the wire distribution block that is in front of the battery (connected to the positive cable) to the horn relay and discovered that it is spliced into the wire that connects the voltage regulator to the alternator. Both wires are soldered so it looks like one big clump of metal it kinda looks like an "X". Im trying to explain this the best I can but I wish I could post pictures. My question is, is this correct?? and what is the purpose of what they have done?? The car used to run fine and they put duct tape on the solder to keep it seperate from the others but it wore through. I really wish I could make this post make better sense.
Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
It sounds like you are talking about the 10 gauge red wire that connects power from battery to alternator, fusebox, voltage reguulator and horn relay. Yep it's correct and that is a factory solder glob you see where the wires all join.

It does need to be properly insulated though. retape it properly with electrical tape. If you are worried about it wearing through again, use some friction tape over the plastic and then wrap it again with plastic electrical tape to keep teh friction tape in place.

There are numerous threads here about tracing shorts but start by removing your negative cable at the battery and connecting a volt meter between them. You shouldn't see any voltage, if you do, start pulling fuses one at a time until the voltage reading goes away, that's the circuit with the problem so then you eliminate one source at a time until you isolate the voltage "leak".

One thing I almost forgot, anything which maintains power with the key off (like the dash clock or aftermarket stereo) can still show as a "leak". You may need to disconnect them to finally trace it down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts