Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i emailed borg warner about their spiral core select wire sets
i was advised to get the set that fits and to NOT try to get a universal set and crimp to fit..
they say that the spiral cores are delicate and must be crimped exactly correctly else performance is diminished...
first time i have heard that so i thought i waould pass it along for general knowledge and / or comment..
if anyone want to see the actual emailed comments let me know and i will forward them..
anyway they will search their data base to recommend a set if i provide lenghts needed..

im feeling kinda lazy so has anyone already compiled this info for a BBC with wires to be routed along top edge of rocker covers at in valley between intake manifold and heads/rockers then to be directed over the rocker covers to each plug and terminating in 135* ends??

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,690 Posts
Rich,
Get a set of Moroso's spiral core wires. They come with the proper tool to strip them without hurting the spiral wire. They also come with a crimping tool for the ends. I have probably done fifty sets and never had a problem. If you want the B-W's because of the color or something to that effect, I really dont think you will have a problem with them as long as you have a good crimping tool to put the ends on with. If you are very careful, you can strip them with a wire cutter without any damage. Or see if you can find a freind that has used the Moroso wires and see if he still has the stripping tool.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bill is there another sourec for stripping and crimping tools??...maybe one that is readily available at a speed shop??

i kinda thought i might get a response saying it wasnt as touchy as B-W suggeted...thanks for the info bill...as usual!!

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use a sparkplug wire crimp tool from NAPA. Looks like a large pair of pliars, and will crimp 7, 8, 9 and end type terminals.

Tip: don't use a stripper to remove the insulation, it can unravel the spiral core media. Cut the insulation with a single edge razor blade, by hand (please be very careful when using the blade) around the diameter, and split it down the length to remove the insulation. main thing is to not unravel the spiral core.

As far as crimping the new terminals onto the wire ends, use the right tool and it will go well, without problems.

I do it this way all the time, and so do all my neighbors and (haha) friends who use my crimpers on their own wire sets and cars.

·
Super Moderator
12,690 Posts
Rich,
Like ignition man stated, the crimpers are available from most good parts stores that sell tools, I got mine form the Snap On truck, Moroso has one etc. The stripper that comes with the Moroso wires is a cheap little deal that sort of looks like a pencil sharpener. You can also do it with a razor blade if you are careful, sort of depends on you electrical skills.
BillK

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,972 Posts
My 57 Chev PU has a set of Moroso spiral cores that I cut to fit in May of _1985_, seem to be doing OK so far, of course something could go wrong any minute now

Just bought another set for the 406 Chevelle motor, had to make Lopers here in Phx order them, they're pushing some MSD crud with humongous boots on the plug end, apparently MSD wanted to display their logo more prominently so they just made the boots bigger so the logo would fit on there, whatta PITA, haven't they noticed that a lot of their wires go on engines with headers and limited clearance? Duh......

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.