Team Chevelle banner

Spindle change out

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  1971-Chevelle 
#1 ·
I’m changing out front spindles on my 67 and do not want to damage ball joints or boots. Is there another way besides the pickle fork or can you use the fork without damage???

#4 ·
BFH against portion of the spindle that lower ball joint passes through. Should deform it enough momentarily to release the ball joint. Keep a Jack underneath the lower A arm. Lots of pressure stored in that spring. (Almost lost a finger when I was in high school)

#19 ·
I know you already got the job done, but this can be for future reference. I made my own separator. Just be sure to grease the divots (where I drilled on the bolt heads), along with the bolt threads. I also use a self locking nut (to give me a rounded place to use the tool) on the threads of the ball joint that is not being removed (to help protect them). Once you have pressure, a light tap with a hammer on the spindle will pop the ball joint out (sometimes it will pop out without using the hammer). This works quite well.

Reactions: LowRider67
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.