Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is for you folks running a Moser 12-Bolt rear-end looking for a spherical bearing for the upper ears. If I'm late to the party, please forgive me. I've been looking for a spherical bearing for a while, but all the ones I've found available have been for stock 12bolt ears and if you're a Moser owner, you know Moser upper ears are thicker than stock. Well, I found some available from HRPartsNStuff that will fit the Moser ears with minimal work. They consist of a main bearing that is pressed in the housing, a spacer, and a spirolox. I installed one tonight. What I found is the bearing bore IS NOT perpendicular/square to the outer edge of the ear so the bearing appears "cocked". I studied it for a minute then whipped out the die grinder and stone and spent about 3 minutes radiusing about 2/3'rds the circumference of one side so the spacer and spirolox would fit on the other side. As you can see, I did a little too much on the first ear, but I don't think it will be a problem since the main bearing is still a press fit, it's just there for insurance. Anyhow, this beats what I've found available so far and the machining that would have been necessary to make them work. I also picked up the HRPSTUFF bearing install/removal tool and it is NICE!!!! Sorry if this sounds like an info-mercial, but I like it when stuff works. You could do this with the rear under the car, but the grinding would be cumbersome. I did one ear tonight and looking at the counter bore line on the other ear, I expect to be doing the same to it.

Hope this helps anyone looking for this type bearing with the "thick ear" rear ends.

· Registered
461 Posts
Is anyone having this problem with the moser 9"? I ordered a set of Wolfe bushings for my 9" and didn't know if that would cause a problem. I know what youre saying John, these ears are thick!!!

· Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is anyone having this problem with the moser 9"? I ordered a set of Wolfe bushings for my 9" and didn't know if that would cause a problem. I know what youre saying John, these ears are thick!!!
Nope, the Wolfe's won't work. They're made for stock 12-bolt ears.

Not only are they thick, but the bushing bore is not square with the outer flange, at least on my housing.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Nope, the Wolfe's won't work. They're made for stock 12-bolt ears.

Not only are they thick, but the bushing bore is not square with the outer flange, at least on my housing.
I have the wolfe's on mine and what i had to do is take a cut off wheel and cut the stock sleeve that holds the bushing , talk about pissed you spend all that money for a rear with a back brace studs that would hold a big truck tire on and they send the rear with rubber buishings . but I made the wolfe's work . the pic below is with rubber bushings . and you can see the sleeve i had to cut .

· Registered
70 Chevelle, 489 BB, Jerico DR4
1,505 Posts
So are you guys running bearings at all attachment points? That's what I have right now with wolfe, eddy uppers, and UMI lowers, and I'm not sure I like. The body rolls a bunch around corners.

You think it's safe? I was going to put stock rubber bushing back in the uppers?

· Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So are you guys running bearings at all attachment points? That's what I have right now with wolfe, eddy uppers, and UMI lowers, and I'm not sure I like. The body rolls a bunch around corners.

You think it's safe? I was going to put stock rubber bushing back in the uppers?
Not at all attachment points. I still have Delrin bushings in the lower fronts. I have the Eddy DA uppers and the donut that comes with them (upper rear) would always slip around the end of the arm "fingers" and just hang there. The inside of the arm "fingers" ended up riding metal-to-metal with the bearing shell.

More articulation with less deflection is what these units will give me. I'm not worried about body roll, that's what the ARB is for and I don't anticipate doing any street driving with it.

· Premium Member
655 Posts
Hmm, I used the Wolfe bearings in my Moser 9" with no other mods needed other than enlarging the bore size in the ears a tiny bit. A freind of mine did the same on his Moser 9" but used the Chris Alston bearings.

I noticed that the ears seem to be made differently than what is pictured above. Ours are actually fabricated ears and the ears pictured above seem to be a cast part. Perhaps Moser has changed their design since I bought mine 2 years ago.

· Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Hmm, I used the Wolfe bearings in my Moser 9" with no other mods needed other than enlarging the bore size in the ears a tiny bit. A freind of mine did the same on his Moser 9" but used the Chris Alston bearings.

I noticed that the ears seem to be made differently than what is pictured above. Ours are actually fabricated ears and the ears pictured above seem to be a cast part. Perhaps Moser has changed their design since I bought mine 2 years ago.
Mike,

John's is a Moser (GM) 12-bolt rear, not Moser (Ford) 9" rear.

· Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

I'll have to keep that in mind John, thanks for posting!!! I am using polyurethane in the ears at this time. The ARB keeps mine level, no body roll whatsoever.
Mike,

John's is a Moser (GM) 12-bolt rear, not Moser (Ford) 9" rear.

F1- Jason is correct. Mine is a Moser 12-bolt and these ears are cast and very thick. My buddy Dave also has the Moser 12-bolt and has a set of Wolfe's sitting on the shelf.

Bob, I thought you might be interested. ;) Garret too! :yes: Oops. Forgot Garret's is a leaf spring deal. :clonk:

They're not a direct bolt-in. It did take a small amount of radiusing around about 270° of the hole to free up an extra .050" to get the spirolox installed. I finished the other side tonight (another 3 minutes with a die grinder and stone). Turned out well. Again, I would recommend the rear to be out of the car to do it, but it could be done under the car.

Oh, and that tool they sell is the sh!t!! I popped those bearings in and out multiple times tonight trying to "sneak-up" on the right clearance. Super easy! Very well spent money$$. :yes:

· Premium Member
69 Posts
Has anyone tried the TRZ ones in the moser 12 bolt? Hard to tell by the picture but it looks as if they might work, no?

· Registered
461 Posts
The wolfe's definitely require the sleeve to be cut. Had the car on the lift and they aren't near wide enough. Debating on checking with Alston to see if there bearings are different. I might check into the hrpartsnstuff as well. They don't list the bushing on there website or I can't find it. Alston didn't list one either. Do you guys have part numbers?

· Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The wolfe's definitely require the sleeve to be cut. Had the car on the lift and they aren't near wide enough. Debating on checking with Alston to see if there bearings are different. I might check into the hrpartsnstuff as well. They don't list the bushing on there website or I can't find it. Alston didn't list one either. Do you guys have part numbers?
Ross, you'll have to call them with you're particular rear end. I have the Moser 12-bolt, not the 9" with sleeves. Here's a shot from the 2009 catalog (you can download the pdf from the homepage).

As I understand it, they have varying thicknesses to fit different rear-ends (most likely just a wide bearing sleeve with varying spacer thicknesses), but you'd need to call them to make sure they have what you need. My only issue was with the housing ears and bushing bores not being square to each other and required a little stone work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.