Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my story - I have a 350 4 bolt block that is being machined 30 over and align bored. I'm buying a build kit from PAW for the low end that includes the std cast crank, cast pistons, moly rings and rods.

I've read alot on the rebuild, but I'm not sure how the rods need to be prepped before they are installed. My take is that the machine shop needs to shop peen, smooth and pre-torque the caps prior to my installing them.

I'm thinking up upping the pistons to Hypereutectic. Can I get the propper rings gapped from the supplier or do I have to custom trim them. I don't mind doing any of the work, but since this is my first rebuild, I've rather have tricky stuff done for me.

Opinions ?

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

·
Registered
131 Posts
ddoler,

We run a .060 over 350 with deeply dished pistons, 64cc 1.94 heads (CR?????)

What I am upset about, is we used Edelbrock Performer (NOT RPM) intake and cam.
Cam specs are 204/214 and 424/446.

I wish I'd used more cam!!!! (and a Performer AirGap goes on the future 400 SB!)

Read Popular Hot Rodding and Car Craft!!!

I've learned MUCH from them!

Dave
Houston
81 Elky

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you have new rods, there shouldn't be much prep unless you want to be slightly trick about it. Are you assembling the motor, or having someone do it?

Shot peening, grinding the casting marks off and polishing can all help the rod not develope a stress crack.

But none of these is a required machining operation. Elective surgery. Assembling the pistons on the rods is hard on the components ( unless it's free floated ) so be sure this is done right.

If you have measuring tools, mike the crank journals, mike the rod bores and establish the right clearance. I'm guessing you can just bolt everything together. We used to use PlastiGuage to check all our clearances while we assembled.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I'm going to build this myself. I had a crate motor in mind but I really want the experience of doing the thing myself. I've done just about everything else on the car and can't see just plopping a motor in from mexico!

Can I reuse the cap bolts after I torque them if I find that the crank isn't turning freely ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.