Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even know where to post this question, but here it is.. Does anybody out there know if it is possable to replace the speedometer needle (69 SS.

Mine only has the back side, the rest of the needle is gone.. I havn't figured out how to remove it, much less where to find a new one..

I hate to replace the whole unit, as it works & looks great otherwise..

Any help would be much appreciated,
Scott

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Have you got a speedometer shop nearby? They should be experts on this and may have a usable needle in their stash.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
You can do it. I just did this a few days ago in my 68 (I haven't even got the gauges back in yet). I had the EXACT same needle problem... only the butt end was left. That old needle will pull straight off with some force, a tiny amount of WD-40 might help. A "new" one will just push on. A little fluorescent orange paint will make an old one look like new if you buy a busted old gauge set off Ebay like I did.

FWIW, I think the needles are breaking off because the speedo is getting old and dirty, and the mechanism is binding. It can thrash that needle around pretty hard if it binds up. When I took my speedometer out, I tried to dissassemble it as much as I could to clean it and LIGHTLY lube some moving parts.

Or maybe the needles just break off at over 200MPH.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Oh, and I found my old needle long-end rattling around inside the gauge cluster when I got it out. I doubt you'd want to glue it onto your gauge, but if you want to try just let me know and I'll send it to you (it hasn't made it into the trash yet).

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with JWagner. Since it is not something that you don't want to be without and if you really want it fixed the right way, check in a issue of Hemmings. There are several good gauge rebuilders that advertise. I would send it to them and consider it money well spent.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I understand how it feels to want to fix things yourself, and this really is not hard to do. He stated that the gauge works and looks great otherwise... so why send it off? The old needle pulls straight off, a new one pushes straight on. Yes, the mounting shaft is thin and could be easily bent, so be careful, but it is really something you can do in a few minutes if you have the gauges out already, and you get another needle from some old non-working gauge set. In the unlikely event that you bust something, THEN you can send it off!

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't see the sence in sending it off to get it re- furbed. If I can locate the needle I am confident that I can swap it out...

Pete, you say to pull streight up on it hugh?? I think I am going to try to pull it tonight..

Thanx for the help,
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Yep, it pulls off. Mine was old and rusted on and it took a pretty good pull to get it off. I had asked here on ChevelleTech and someone told me that you might have to twist it aa little to get it loose. Considering the thin mounting shaft, I'd put a little WD40 on the mounting shaft (Hang the speedo upside down if you have to but don't get ANY oil on the speedo face or numbers!). Then let it sit for an hour or so. Don't rock the needle or the shaft might break. Don't pry with anything, just use your fingers. Just pull straight up.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The easy way to remove the pointer is to rotate it counter clockwise, against the mechanical stop, at the same time pulling outward. The pointer will come off. When installing the replacement start with it pointing at around 10 - 20 mph rotate the pointer ccw and push in, stop when 0 is lined up. You can lightly tap on the pointer to set it tighter if you feel it is needed.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Rotate counter clockwise against stop, then clockwise past 120 to the stop. Easy back and forth and it will slide right off.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, got it off
.. I think I can make a needle work from an old temp gauge.. Wont be as long as the old one, but it will be ALOT better than what I got..

Will post a pic when it's done..

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Looks a lot better than what you had alright. Glad you got it done. By the way, the guys suggesting you rotate the needle against the stops to help get it loose were correct, that is a better way to pull the needle off. My thanks to Elree and Steve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts