Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is wrong but maybe someone knows.

I have a 1985 chevy van I re-did the engine throwing out all the extra crap and made it like my 1972 chevelle's engine. Now it reliable and get better gas mileage. It had cruise control so the speedometer goes backwards but I'm not sure. I put a drill on the existing cable from the dash and had to put on 'reverse'. Does that mean the speedometer is backwards? I've never tried any other speedometers. How can I directly hook into to the 350C tranny? Anyone know about this one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As I recall if you had cruise control, the speedo cable from your trans hooked into the cruise control box and then a second cable exited the cruise control box and went to the speedometer itself. I don't think that you can hook the cable directly from the transmission to the speedometer because as you have noticed, the cruise control box turned the cable in the opposite direction.
You can still disable all of the other cruise control pieces, just leave the box under the hood with the proper cable hook-ups.. Good luck.

------------------
1969 Camaro 383/365HP, B/W T-56 Six Speed, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73, 4 Whl. Disc brakes, console w/gauge package, tach, clock, tilt, Black Deluxe houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, all eurethane bushings.

[This message has been edited by Go69 (edited 12-19-2001).]

·
wagons rule!
3,222 Posts
I am almost positive that nothing runs backwards, cruise or not. if it did, you would have speedo gauges or transmission gears that are specific to cruise or not cruise. and that is not the case. everything turns the same direction cruise or not. it sounds to me like you speedo cable just needs to be pulled out and lubricated.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had dealer-added cruise control on my 70 Malibu that didn't work and cluttered up the engine compartment. I simply removed all the parts from under the hood and under the dash, including the cable that runs from the cruise control box to the tranny. I then took the speedo cable, that ran from the speedometer to the cruise control box, and ran it down to the transmission. Screwed it into the tranny and it works fine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have had a lot of experience with cruise control setups on earlier GM cars. On vehicles 72-73 and back, all you have to do is unscrew the cable coming from the transmission at the cruise transducer. After removing the short cable from the speedo(discard it), run the one from the transmission into the vehicle(if long enough) and screw it on to your speedometer.Later vehicles have a clip that secures the cable at the speedo.
On your vehicle you probably have to get a longer cable that will reach from the transmission all the way to the speedo. Bypass the cruise transducer completely. Your speedo has a clip on it that holds the cable in place rather than threads as in earlier applications. Get up under your dash and remove the speedo cable.....you will see what I am referring to.....make sure to pry the clip up so lthe cable will pull out freely.
Replace the cable and your speedo should work properly. Be sure to lube the cable with some graphite to insure that it will turn freely.

------------------
Tim
'57 210 2Dr Wagon
'67 300 Deluxe 2Dr Sedan
'72 SWB Orig 402
'81 El Camino TPI 4-speed

·
wagons rule!
3,222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chevywidow:
Believe it or not, the speedo is driven in reverse! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
what do you mean it runs backwards? relative to what? I think it has been determined here that the cable runs the same direction with or without cruise. is this a true statement? anyone.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto

·
Registered
272 Posts
Maybe it's just the three gauge cluster in a row that I've tested the speedo with a #2 Robertson bit chucked into the drill running in reverse to get the needle to increase in speed. Hummmmmmmmmmmmm, glad I took the time to check!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The simple answer is if you look at the back of the speedometer, the cable would turn counter clockwise to make the needle move in an increasing speed direction. Or if you had the cable unhooked from the speedometer and you were looking at the end of the cable, it would have to turn clockwise to have the same effect

·
wagons rule!
3,222 Posts
so chevywindow, your calling it reverse because that's the direction of your drill when your making the speedometer work? I think the point we are making here is that whichever way you are calling forward or backwards the cable always operates in the same direction wether you have cruise or not. the cable that comes out of the trany always going the same direction and the cable going into the speedometer is always going the same direction. just because it goes into then back out of the cruise control "thing" it does not change direction.

------------------

·
Registered
436 Posts
man, i am confused...

------------------
Russ B.

'68 Chevelle 396 ht

...nice first car, huh?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Enddoc;

I'd bet money that RPOL7966 is correct that you should be able to just hook up the cable from the transmission to the speedo (if it will reach)

Think about what it would take to have the cable rotate in a reverse rotation from "stock"!

It can't rotate in a different rotation at the transmission unless they cast a different transmission case mounting the drive gear on the other side of the output shaft!!!!!! (or have a different "drive gear" on the output shaft within the transmission)

The only place that the rotation could be reversed would be at the "transducer" box.

But, that would mean that the speedometer would have to be specific to a "cruise control" car and I don't see G.M. doing that!

My bet is that the rotation into and out of the "transducer" is the same.

To solve the question, and in light of the fact that you are removing the cruise control box anyway; Pull out the box and put it in a vise on the work bench. Then use your drill motor to drive the input while looking at the output. It should be the same rotation.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

[This message has been edited by Wes V (edited 12-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Wes V (edited 12-22-2001).]

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wes, Thanks for the positive reinforcement about my comments. I have installed the older cruise units on many vehicles that previously never had cruise control. It's a simple and straight forward installation.
If Enddoc will just bypass the transducer all will be fine......that is if his speedometer head is OK. Read my first post for details.
I've heard of and known dealers to use a machine or electric drill to run a speedometer and odometer backwards to "create" a low mileage vehicle.

Reverse is a relative term.....clockwise rotation is "forward" for some things and counterclockwise rotation is "forward" in other applications. Even with an electric drill......there is such a thing as left hand drill bits! They must be used in reverse. They work great for drilling out broken studs.

------------------
Tim
'57 210 2Dr Wagon
'67 300 Deluxe 2Dr Sedan
'72 SWB Orig 402
'81 El Camino TPI 4-speed

·
Registered
272 Posts
The topic was "speedometer runs backward, I think" and I was answering his question of "I put a drill on the existing cable from the dash and had to put on "reverse". Does that mean the speedometer is backwards? Well quite simply put, yes the cable is driven/rotates/moves/turns in a COUNTERCLOCKWISE motion. I related that as reverse because that is how it was initially posted. Knit pick away.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.