Team Chevelle banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,868 Posts
You know Leo the more I used lithium grease in the past the less I like it. It dries up and collects a lot of dirt. Probably the lube I use the least. Plus the spray can makes a huge mess. There has to be way better synthetic lubes these days...I do agree about cleaning off the cable.
No spray can for me, right out of the tube into my hand and drag the cable thru it except the last inch or so. It's enclosed in the housing, hopefully no dirt is gonna get in there!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
by the way i used wheel bearing grease on my cable and no problems so far (over 20 years).
My only concern would be on a winter driven vehicle that it might get too thick and cause the needle to jump. I'm sure in a warm climate or a warm weather only car it would be fine.

·
Registered
Ryan
182 Posts
Mine was jumping and squeaking like hamster wheel a few years back. Decided to just replace the whole cable since it was such a pain in the ass to get up under the dash and get the cable in and out. I wasn’t willing to do it twice. I probably went through a 12 pack of beer and invented 10 times as many new curse words. I sincerely hope yours goes back in easier than mine did.

Reactions: LeoP
21 - 23 of 23 Posts