Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I don't know if a cable is not connected in the back of speedometer, because when I put it in drive and move it, it doesn't move the needle at all. Do you know what I can do to fix it? Also, the PRNDL1L2 indicator doesn't work either. What do I have to do to fix that? By the way, my car is a 1972 Chevelle SS.

Thanks,
Ethan

·
Registered
480 Posts
Look on the trans. and see if the cable is connected there. If it is, make sure it is also connected under the dash. If it is, remove the cable from the trans, and spin it counterclockwise. If the speedometer works your prob is in the trans. If not take the cable loose from the speedo and see if it spins. If it does, your speedo may be bad.

It's hard to diagnose for sure without seeing it in person. I hope this will help.

I don't know about the prndl indicator.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
how fast are you going when you move it? under 5mph, and your speedo might not move at all.
you could put the rear end up on jackstands and put it in gear and see if the speedo works- but if your rear brakes don't work very well, then don't put it back in park.. you will grind off your parking thingy in the trans with a nice "whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound..
rather, let the engine idle down and shut it off in gear and let the wheels stop on their own.
if no speedo action, then take the cable off the trans and spin the driveshaft by hand and watch the gear in the trans.
if the gear spins, then hook up a drill to the end of the cable and spin it counter clockwise- if you have a 1000rpm drill, your speedo should read 60mph exactly.
if still no speedo action,then unhook it from the back of the speedo and spin the cable with the drill again.
if the cable doesn't turn, then go to NAPA with $20 and get a new cable.
if the speedo cable is good, then the problem is in the speedo itself.
as for the gear indicator- the cable from the column up to the cluster might be disconnected, or if you have a floor shift, the backdrive linkage might not be hooked up from the trans to the column.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts