Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the plastic speedo gear from the dealer.
when I put it in fluid came out after the sleeve. is this normal?
After getting everything back in and the cable tight. the speedo(brand new autometer) didnt move at all.
after 20min of driving it started to bounce a bit around 30mph while I was doing 40 or so.
does this simply mean the cable is not tight?
the old speedo gear had chewed up edges or the gear teeth. does that mean something?
thanx
Justin

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Justin -

I recently chewed up my speedo gear because the cable seized in the housing. Did you replace the cable, or lube it and verify that it spins freely? You may be popping for another gear if not.

------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle #50 - Gold Member
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
& the newest - '70 Malibu convertible!
[email protected]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reused a somewhat new cable, it spun freely but I did not lube it.
could that be the culprit?
the speedo bounces as if its not fully connected.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I reused a somewhat new cable, it spun freely but I did not lube it.
could that be the culprit?
the speedo bounces as if its not fully connected.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Justin,
I just went through the same problem with my 3 spd Saginaw. Did you match the gear with the old one (assuming you had an old one to compare to)? There are at least 2 different diameter gears, not the number of teeth but the actual diameter. There are also right slanted and left slanted cut gears. the problem may also be a badly worn driven gear (the plastic gear that mates with the speedo gear). After numerous failed attempts at trial and error I took the tailshaft off and replaced both gears with a matching set as well as replacing the "bullet" that holds the gear. The bullet was only $10 from GM. I made the fatal error in assuming there was a standard "GM" gear...Maybe someone with more background in this area could give you a part # based on your transmission to simplify the search for the correct gear if you have the wrong one.
Good Luck, JC66

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for all of your replies. I would be lost without u.
I checked out your website fred, its great, but I dont seeem to see if the gears can actually go in both directions. this makes sense becuase I think my tranny guy has flii

ped my tailshaft. that would require the gear to be orriented in the other direction. right? im clueless
Ive got a new speedo gear in a th350 and a good cable tight at both ends adn a brand new speedo. still it bounces around at 20mph.
thanx for all your help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If the drive gear is damaged it will make short life of the new driven gear. Take the sleeve back out and look at the drive gear. If the gear does not look flat across and it looks like the center is deeper than the sides, the gear is shot and must be replaced. If you see damage on any gear you should start with two good gears. I have had the sleeve wear and cause the speedo to bounce. Replace it if in dout. I don't think things will work right if the tail housing is flipped. Correct would be speedo hole on drivers side for turbo hydros.

[This message has been edited by Mike Sadoian (edited 06-08-99).]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, when I replaced the plasitic gear.tranny fuid started pouring out as soon as I got the sleeve out. (its a th350)
is this normal?
ok should I just buy a new sleeve and gear and start from square one?
is it possible to not have the plastic gear far eneough in to the tranny?

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Justin
It is normal for tranny fluid to leak when the gear is removed. It is not normal for it to leak with everything installed. The bullet (as jc called it) has a rubber "o-ring" around it to seal. If that is missing you will definitely have a leak.
Your jumping speedo could be caused if the cable is not fully seated in the gear.
If the hold down clamp for everything is parallel (more or less) with the longitudinal axis of the tranny, then the gear is fully seated.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
(soon to be TPI)
ACES # 00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038
NCOA #16197

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok I just installed a new sleeve and plastic gear. I hooked everything up and it worked better but still bounced. I noticed that the speedo cable is not compleatly tight. there is play in hte connection at the tranny. could it be that I am trying to use the wrong speedo cable? Im not sure but It could be left over from when I had a powerglide in the car. are the powerglide and th350 cables diffrent?
it seems the sleeve is not long enough for the cable to tighten all the way.
could hte dealer have given me the wrong sleeve?
sorry for the long post. thanx for all of your help.
Justin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.