Chevelles.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
What doesn't work on it? There's not a lot to that meter. Haven't seen the insides of a 260 for a few years but repairs were usually simple. I no longe have access to calibration standards but if you just want it to work let me know.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Man you guys are old! Actually I used one at work for years too. Never owned my own though. Don't even know if there any lying around, haven't seen one in years.

·
Premium Member
13,557 Posts
We have a Simpson at work too, I don't know what series it is though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You mean the rectangular black case with D'arsonval movment that pivots on a diamond, has a thin mirorred strip (some models) to line up the needle with the reflection so you aren't looking at an agle?

The one where you had to manually switch between each range, starting at the top range and working down until you got into the middle of the meter since that's where it's most accurate?

Before my time ;)

Couldn't you get these repaired at a calibration shop at one time? There has to be a standards lab in a midium size town I would imagine?

Steve

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Coppertop:
Why not just buy a new one??? This is the greatest meter of all time...
Guessing since Dean retired ain't much cash. Sears has reported the loss of several catalogs in his area. Dean, they cause chaffing if you use them.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
has a thin mirorred strip (some models) to line up the needle with the reflection so you aren't looking at an agle?

Stuff you learn that you almost never get to use. Looking at it from an angle is called parallax, and the "needle" is correctly called the
pointer.

Sure a calibration lab can repair and calibrate, however it can cost as much as a new meter or at least more than a used EBAY meter.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
QUOTE]Guessing since Dean retired ain't much cash. Sears has reported the loss of several catalogs in his area. Dean, they cause chaffing if you use them. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Now that is more than slightly COLD John! Where the compassion? Isn't his out house modernized?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Naa, figure Dean is always working on everyone else's projects and doesn't have a chance to keep up with his own.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
And, I believe it was a "taught-band movement".

Yeah, that's the one. Of course now I have trouble reading the numbers on the scale. That reminds me, where did I leave my reading glasses...

Heck, I showed up to help a friend check out a heatpump compressor the other day with an Amprobe and he laughed his a$$ off at me. He had a new digital Fluke. Asked me if I always collected antiques.

The youth of today have no respect.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Originally posted by Herb:
And, I believe it was a "taught-band movement".

Yeah, that's the one. Of course now I have trouble reading the numbers on the scale. That reminds me, where did I leave my reading glasses...

Heck, I showed up to help a friend check out a heatpump compressor the other day with an Amprobe and he laughed his a$$ off at me. He had a new digital Fluke. Asked me if I always collected antiques.

The youth of today have no respect.
OMG Herb! Next you'll be talking about when you flew the kite in the thunderstorm and something about a key! :D

·
Gold Founding Member
63,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny how we hate changing the way we've been doing something for so many years.

I was trying to measure the OHMS of the chip in Barbara's 92 Olds ignition key so I can get a resister to bypass the stupid thing and said to myself, "SELF I said, don't' you wish the old Simpson still worked"
Seems like the dang digitals jump back and forth, back and forth and never settle down (it's hard to hold the leads on each side of the chip)
:(

BTW, anyone know the resistance range of those key chips, I'm thinking it measures around 1.25 K ?

I think I might try taking a gamble on the Simpson on eBay, hopefully at the last second of the auction.

Thanks for the replies and links.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts