Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ordered and got 2 speakers for my 72 Elky from JC Whitney(PN4606GM4). They are 4X6 with a 6oz magnet. After cutting some clearance into the stock mounts for the larger magnets and removing the mounting clips from the stock speakers and remounting on the new ones I checked the ohm reading with a multimeter and read 5/5.2 ohms. This worries me. My multimeter is new so I think the reading is good. I also checked a good stock GM 10ohm speaker and it read 19/20 ohms. Whats the deal here? I measured at the 2 connections where the wires go, is this correct?

The speakers are supposed to be replacement GM or universal application. Should I use em or lose em. Only cost $14 for the pair.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Hmmmm,

Well, first off what were the JCW speaker's suppose to be rated at?

You want to measure at the spade connectors with nothing else attached except the ohm meter.

Important, you will never read the factory IMPEDANCE rating with an ohm meter! For example, a speaker rated at 8 ohms will only register about 7.3 ohms on a meter. This is because with the meter you are reading resistance, NOT impedance. Impedance is the combination of DC resistance and AC reactance. 8 ohms is what the radio "sees" a 1 kHz as you have AC across your speakers with the radio on.

Now enough of the electronics side,

you read "5.5" ohms, so what does the back of the speakers say?

19 or 20 ohms on GM stock speaker??!!! Something is fishy here. Remember just read one speaker at a time with nothing else connected. Reading a speaker in-circuit will give you different results, i.e. 2 speakers in series will yield 2 X the typical resistance reading.

Get another known good speaker with it's impedance rating printed on the back, if it's still not reading correct based on the above info I just gave you, you've got a meter problem.

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH

Only 5 more months till spring arrives in the midwest

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Coppertop! I think the meter is ok but I 'm just using it wrong.

I can't find an ohm rating for the JCW speakers anywhere. They are advertised as a GM replacement though. I just hooked them to a 76 GM stereo radio at my workbench and they sounded fine, as good or better than stock.

I rechecked the 10ohm stock GM speaker I've been using to bench test my radios with again and the meter finally settled down at about 14ohm with nothing hooked to it but the test leads, also rechecked the JCWs and still get 5/5.5 ohms respectively with just test leads hooked to them.

I hope they will be ok cause I have sucessfully mounted them in the stock brackets for my Elky and they look factory. Even soldered the leads from the old stock speakers to them so I can use the stock wiring.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint

[This message has been edited by Big James 4XL (edited 02-09-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts