Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced a dash speaker in a 66 with air conditioning. Can't seem to get the speaker out. Car has 283 and a bench seat. Radio is out. There is still a defroster duct (y shaped about 12 x 16 inches) and dash vent (about 1 x 8 inches. Dash vent would do it but it seems to not want to move even with the 2 screws out. Does dash vent simply push out - don't want to break it if if other screws are hidden somewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Mike
My assembly manual shows the center A/C duct assembly held in place by 2 screws from the bottom.They show this same bracket is rivited to the duct and the vent bezel with 3 rivits The drawing is not real clear but it looks like the vent and the duct housing should push back from dash after the two screws are removed.

Rene
66-Malibu

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The update. You have to drop the dash to get the speaker out.

I replaced the 4 main bolts holding the dash up with threaded bolts about 2 inches long - one bolt at a time. Then I was able to lower the dash just enough to get the ac duct and speaker out by ratcheting these bolts down.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts