Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 69 #3931063 heads that are semi closed heads and not sure what spark plugs to use with these heads. I had 2 other big blocks in the past both 454 with 74 and later smog heads and used r45ts or r44ts but the semi are supposed to use a different plug. I think r44 without the tapered seat big fat style socket also. Went to pep boys looked up 69 chevelle 396 and it calls for a set of r44xls is this correct? I already bought the plugs just want to make sure they are correct (they are the big style socket)

thanks

forgot to mention that the gap was set at 65 from the factory, I think this would be to much gap and I should bring it back down to 40-45. Comp9000 with high fire coil

[This message has been edited by stevenb8 (edited 12-21-1999).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to post again But I really need to know if I have the right plugs in my car, going to start it this weekend and just want to make sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you'll be fine with what you purchased. The gap differences are also not going to make a major change either way. Fire it up and tune from there. You'll be able to tell from the plug coloring after you've run it where you need to be.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
FWIW, the local Carquest store gave the same plug for both 67 closed chambered heads and 69 alum open chambered heads, and they correspond to your AC r44XLS. If you ever need to change to the smaller 5/8 nut I use FR3LS Ac's. With headers it makes a diff.

BTW, IMO 0.065 is way, way too wide. Bring it down to 0.040 or even better 0.035.

FIRE IT UP!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gene, what heads are you running?
I was woundering about plugs also, as I have a set of 67 closed chambers in my 71 402(with DZ Headers). I thought the older heads had to use the larger plugs. If not I'll get a set that are easier to get to through the headers.
Thanks for the info

------------------
Lynn Robinson
Pacheco, Calif.
64 Malibu SS, 71 Camaro SS
"Just Hit the Ball and Touch em All"
Team Chevelle Member #246

[This message has been edited by Coach (edited 12-23-1999).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I found out from some others I asked that these plugs would work fine but I agree about the plug gap and put it back down to 40. Fired it up today and they worked fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.