Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to restore my 68 ss, I have option of installing "original" AC delco wires which I believe are 7mm for 325 hp application. I am concerned that these wires may not be suitable for my HEI ignition.

I was offered an option of "higher performance wires for 375hp" I suppose these are larger wires, I do not know.

What do you guys think? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would speculate that even your "original" wires are made with modern materials on the inside and are probably adequate.

Of course I always say, "If less is more, just imagine how much more MORE is" So if you don't find the "higher performance" wires objectionable, you might as well run them and have the extra safety/performance margin.

Corey

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You sure those original type wires will work? The HEI boots on the distributor are different.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point about "boots fitting". I ordered from Ground Up. I will know soon.

Eventually, my plan is to find a HEI distributor that looks like a "stock" distributor. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think i rember reading about a guy that converts points type dist to hei. Ive read from here that he does good work but i cant rember his name.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I saw a distributor (HEI) that looks like a smaller (points) distributor in JEGS, but I can't find it now.

·
Registered
638 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by firstchevelle:
I think i rember reading about a guy that converts points type dist to hei. Ive read from here that he does good work but i cant rember his name.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be Dave Ray. His company is Dave's Small Body Ignition Systems or something similar. He will take your old distributor, or a core, and rebuild it to like-new condition with HEI and a customized advance curve to fit your combo. I could not be happier with the work he did for me. He also did a custom vacuum advance for mine that works mint. Last I knew, his email was [email protected]

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 54k orig miles
My car.
The red interior.
The engine.
Hood trim.

·
Registered
483 Posts
at wiringharness.com they have a drop in unit that converts to hei output. Better than the pentronix I bought because it only has one wire comming from the dist like the stock. Pentronix has 2 giving away it is not stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts